DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

"unregistered" builder - should I be concerned

Posted by Bishop - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

controlling things from UK is fraught, and your 'builder' seems mulitalented, to the point he offers to supervise work which would  normally require several artisans to fulfil.   If architects here seem expensive, it is exactly because they avoid the problems you may have in your worst nightmares.  Apart from all the legal problems, isn't there a simple moral issue  of whose taxes fund the system here and who will come out to your accident, educate your kids, or see you into retirement?

Sorry no image available
Posted by lottie13-403657 - 3 years ago

the work I am talking about was done by a very poor, registered trader, although the work had to be completed by someone else, the decinnel was not worth the paper it was wriiten on, as I said it only concerns shoddy work that comprimes the building. I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully claimed on decinnel and has not had to re mortgage to do so

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

As someone on here pointed out insurance companies are b's at paying out at the best of times but NEVER pay out for uninsured work ,check what the tradesman is insured to do ,ie some plumbers here are also electricians some are not .If they say they have no copy of their decenalle don't believe them ,their insurance company will provide copies .

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

The thinking seems to be that laws are there to set out a fair framework for how things should be done, and if people are decent and want to do what's right, they will do what the law says. Usually it takes two to decide to go outside the law, you can only work on the black if somebody gives you work to do. If people want to do that then it's their lookout but if it goes wrong the law won't help. Of course the problem arises when somebody is out to deceive, and an innocent party who doesn't know the law or doesn't check carefully enough, is taken advantage of.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Vannetais - 3 years ago

The whole system here is one BIG joke, I have worked in construction here for 10 years and I have seen all sorts of things going on but rarely hear of prosecutions. Never employ a non-registered person to do any work on your property. I caught a gardener once doing renovation work on a cottage! I met him cutting a lawn at a holiday home and the following month in the same area wiring up lights in the kitchen of another property. He told me he was a registered gardener when in fact he was not registered at all. If something goes wrong at your home and you have used a Jobber your insurance is null and void. I contacted the chambre de metier and they did not seem interested, as always in France lip service. You pay for all your insurances and someone else takes your job because they are cheaper, cheap and cheerful, Brittany is full of Expats dabbling in trades they have no right to be doing and as for the French, well that is another story. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

Whoever you  claimed through for faulty work if the builder/plumber etc wasn't registered you wouldn't stand a chance of any compensation.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Lottie that's quite correct, I met someone who after two years had a major plumbing problem with a new build, plumber wasn't interested in putting it right unless paid, insurance told her it covered grosse ouvrir only and she should claim from her house insurance, yet originally when I started the chap at the chambre métier told me I had to insure all my work for ten years regardless of how small the job was, and you are right about various jobs being done cash only mainly by tradesfolk who work full time during the week, some have even been known to build the odd house or two.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lottie13-403657 - 3 years ago

interesting thread, if you talk to lots of french people , having smallish jobs done on the black seems to be a way of life. For the bigger jobs registered is Im sure the way to go.But have you ever met anyone who has successfully claimed against decennel insurance. It only kicks in when the integrity of the building is at risk. insurance companies will advise you that for all other works you should take out insurance yourself against defective work.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rita T-387361 - 3 years ago

We have lived here for Thirteen years and have only ever used Registered Artisans and have Never had a problem ,maybe because we used local tradesmen.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

Bishopmulot,  you have so much more information at hand in the way of information and advice than say someone buying and renovating 10 yrs ago. Do some donkey work before rushing in to anything. For example the question you have asked in your original post has been answered time upon time on forums and websites that give advice on moving to France, a little time spent researching and this would have answered your question. Please don't take this the wrong way but relying on UK expat information will not always stand you in good stead. You are moving to France try talking to some of the French it will help you intergrate a lot quicker.