DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Upgrade from Vista

Posted by lakeman-415065 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

"Time to bin your old gear,you can still buy equipment with windows 7 installed,dont go for windows 10 though."

It will be very difficult to buy any new equipment with W7 pre-installed.  Microsoft have recently pulled the plug on OEM licenses.  You can however simply buy a PC without an OS installed and buy W7 on ebay for quite reasonable money.  Install it yourself,

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gazza - 3 years ago

Thanks Jake, your just a tad too late with that advice for me, but i'll second what you say. To anyone out there don't change from windows 7 to 10, big mistake!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by jake-385069 - 3 years ago

Time to bin your old gear,you can still buy equipment with windows 7 installed,dont go for windows 10 though.

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

I think anonymous has pretty well summed it up but here goes again:

Upgrade disks preserve all the data on the existing hard drives and providing the upgrade is successful they continue to be accessible.

A new install will re-format the hard drive and therefore everything is lost.

In the web site reference I gave you it seems that the W7 installation disk detects that you have Vista running on your machine and offers an upgrade (retaining data) as an alternative to a new install (all data lost).

As I said I have never tried it as I prefer a new install every time.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

When an upgrade is possible it will largely be automatic and will usually save your data and settings to install on the new OS.  A clean install is much safer and will mean you need to export all your data to another drive or storage device to keep it safe and then format (erase) your old drive and start from there with the installation.  If for some reason it goes pear-shaped you have not lost your data and can try again.  Google is your friend.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lakeman-415065 - 3 years ago

Thank you GeorgeV for your advice.  This maybe a stupid question but is the difference between an UPGRADE and a NEW INSTALL simply the software disc you use? 

I think I may have not been cleara in my initial posting I am thinking of a new instal rather than an upgrade.

Sorry no image available

I have upgrade discs for my Sony Vaio but I doubt there are any upgrade discs around now as we are well past Vista machines being sold.

However, look at this http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6892/how-to-perform-an-upgrade-from-vista-to-windows-7/

Never tried it myself as I always do  new install.

Sorry no image available
Posted by helenct61 - 3 years ago

Hello, I wasn't aware that you could upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 - could someone please send me a link.

Thanks in advance,

Sorry no image available

Before you upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 if it best to download and use thie programme from Microsoft. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Before running it ensure that all the equipment that you use connected to the computer is switched on.  eg scanner, printer, USB sticks, cameras.

Run the programme and it will advise you of any issues that you will need to address.

My slide scanner needed new drivers which were not readily available but found a 3rd party supplier in the end.  A document scanner could not be upgraded and that cost me a new scanner.

If you can cope with things like that then the upgrade should go smoothly. 

Might also be better to do a new install rather than upgrade but do ensure that you have backed up everything you need. 

If you live near Redon I would be very happy to do it for you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Werner-402730 - 3 years ago

Hello Lakeman,

I recently changed from Vista to Windows 7.Everything is a lot quicker,and I find it very easy to use.I am really pleased that I changed.Good luck.