Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Urgent structural Wall problem advice needed

Posted by jandave - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jandave - 3 years ago

Hi Thanks to all that replied. We had applied for permission to change a door to a window etc. because the Marie said we had to. After applying and while stripping down the inside wall the bad problems came to light. We could not wait for permission to come through, it was possible the wall could have collapsed at anytime, so asked a French friend to aid us and went to the Marie. After telling Marie about problem and that it could be urgent (there were 4 councillors present) it was decided that we could go ahead without waiting for permission to come through even though we said that the plans had to change a bit to allow for support to be put in for the lintel.

My advice to anyone facing a similar problem would be to do as we did took photos of the problem to the Marie and asked their help in putting it right without causing trouble for ourselves our anyone else. They are there for you and if approached in the right way (we have found) willl do their best for you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

There is no building inspector here - so help yourself-in all senses of the phrase.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

Hi jandave... you sound to be changing the openings yourselves, so before plan B commences, do you know why your inner lintels are cracking, or could they be rotten?  Maybe your walls are a 'double' wall of dressed stone or schist with an infill of rubbly stuff and water has leaked from above; or earth, you don't say which. If it is a thick wall there will probably be inner and outer lintels, and now is a good time to check any other windows for problems, you may see that the jambs have rotted and sunk down....  In the immediate le touq is right  although you would be better off getting a builder by personal recommendation.  Fitter is right that you don't need report to the authorities, unless you put in replacements of dimensions other than on your planning application.  Just get on with it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by le touq - 3 years ago

Good morning Jan & Dave

The loading on top of the lintel/ door frame needs to be temporarily propped up.  This should be done by a suitably qualified person (competent builder will do).

I personally would not recommend any DIY work on this.  Once propped up, then a prestressed concrete lintel or steel section can be installed and loads released.  Remember, the top of steel/ concrete lintel must be packed with a non shrinkable grout/ shims so the structure is fully pinned.  I am a chartered structural engineer based in UK and see this as my duty of care and have no interest in druming up business.

It is alas a shame that the French system is not similar to the UK one.  The authorities can help at least in pointing you to the right person.

Good like and be safe.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

I wasn't aware that "the authorities" have to be informed or give permission prior to you carrying out emergency repairs. Best get on with it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JB2014 - 3 years ago

I know it is not quite the same as your situation but look at THIS video and see how the wall was supported while work was done.

Do that.