DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Using UK builders

Posted by garethe - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Yes your EHIC covers you if you need healthcare. But your EHIC would not convince URSSAF that you're not working here on the black because it doesn't prove that you're registered as self-employed in the UK. To do that you need to be able to show them the proper paperwork. It's about covering your back.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/work-abroad/posted-workers/index_en.htm - read all about Alan, and consider what would have happened if he hadn't had his A1, as they seem to call it now.

I suspect the Cleiss link is about 'posted workers' as in employees sent abroad by their employer, in which case the employer will be assumed to have taken care of the rest of the paperwork. If you're self-employed, it's up to you to do it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 3 years ago

Here you go. All the infomation on working in France while remaining resident in the UK.

http://www.cleiss.fr/particuliers/venir/travailler/detachement/ue883_en.html

You only need a EHIC or CEAM as the French call the same thing.

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 3 years ago

Do you need an S1 for a short job abroad? The EHIC will cover you when working abroad so I wonder if you only need an S1 if you plan to be working abroad for longer than than the EHiC normally covers you.

Sorry no image available

"this is France we have to play by their rules " - As long as he has the correct documents, he'll be perfectly legit and French rules won't have any problem with it. Being able to work in different countries is what the EU is all about. However people do have to follow the rules in order to cover their backs, they don't simply have carte blanche to go and work wherever they like without following procedures and clearing it with the relevant authorities first.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

I agreed with your view - but this is France we have to play by their rules  even if they seem bonkers!

BTW I understand even for a patio, depending on size, you may need the appropriate permissions from the Marie. As for builders going on and off the job - they sound very much like UK builders. Probably the reason there are some many Polish builders working itn the UK!

Bon chance

Sorry no image available

If the UK builder is registered self-employed in the UK, and if he informs HMRC / DWP that he's going to spend a period of time working in France and he gets them to issue him with a workers S1 (they probably call it something different now) for that period - which they should do, but he'd need to apply well in advance in order to be sure of receiving the form before the work starts - then he will be covered against any accusation of 'working on the black' as far as URSSAF and cotisations are concerned. Obviously he'd also need to be sure to declare the income for tax purposes.

If he doesn't have his S1 in his pocket when he arrives, even if he's applied for it, then he would have no way of proving if challenged that he's exempt from paying cotisations in France. You can't simply 'assume' that the UK is covering you - there are criteria to meet, and it's for DWP to decide whether you meet them or not. You need your S1 to prove that they have agreed. But as long as he meets the criteria, the main one of which is being established as a self-employed contracter carrying out the same activity in the UK, there should't be a problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by garethe - 3 years ago

Hi Dibby spot - they are not working on the black - they are paying tax and soc security in the country in which they are registered to do so (UK), the "posted workers" allows 2 years for this (we have lots in my company from all around europe and the world infact).

as for loacation inbetween locimine and josselin - we tried 8 local builders, only one was suitable and they are doing some of the work for us now - but they seem to go and come as they please (probably beacuse i am not there), so giving him more work isnt an option.

if it was wiring or plumbing and really required intimate knowledge of the French norms, i'd agree - but for a patio ...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

Firstly, where are you? Many people here will know good trademens so even advertise on heres.

Secondly be careful in bringing over English builders they will be working on the "black" and unlike the UK - you will be liable for this personally. This liability extends to paying for their tax liaiblity. They will not be insured for damage or health. As they are working they may not be covered under the E111 health scheme.

All liability is yours - personally for the insurance and the payment of their taxes and damages if they fell of a roof and were killed. You do not get the reduce VAT that may apply on renovation or depending what you are doing the taxe benefit of the insulation etc.

French builders also have to delivery a 10yr warranty of their service. If you still think it a good idea go for it. However, the French take as kindly to English tradesmen as UK Plumber do to Poles tkaing thier work. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

Sounds ok to me!!!

There are lots of people resident in france that go to work in uk!

Sorry no image available
Posted by piechipsandpeas - 3 years ago

Get yer tin hat on !