DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Veg growers (Carrots)

Posted by Kerroux - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Seems you did everything you could countrydweller! I think we are lucky to have the sandy soil here on the coast that carrots seem to thrive in (this is carrot-growing central!)

I think you can only do so much, the rest is down to nature and timing! You win some, you lose some. C'est la vie!

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Well I thought I had cracked it this year-sowed root fly resistant variety in between rows of onions and in a raised bed surrounded with marigolds and fleeced.All looked OK until I went to pull some today and saw the reddening of the foliage and the rest is compost....

How has peoples top fruit done this year-we have hardly any apples and no plums or pears.Loads of soft fruit though

Sorry no image available

UPDATE!

Just pulled our first carrots. They are superb, no fly. Today they will be cooked in the oven with butter, honey and wholegrain mustard and will accompany local Breton pork (and courgettes and potatoes, also from our Potager).

Some people get pleasure from money, I prefer the simple pleasures of living in this beautiful place by the sea and eating good, local food.

Bon appetit!

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerivon - 3 years ago

I always grow mine in polystyrene deep fish boxes, any deep container will do and raise them up on a table or a few breeze blocks. It's easier to look after them, you don't have to bend down, they stay nice and clean in the compost too and don't get bothered by slugs either.. Never had much look growing them in the soil. 

Sorry no image available

Yes, I agree re. companion planting and we have a wooden 'wall' around ours. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul & nadine - 3 years ago

I have always grown marigold with carrots ,never had a problem yet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

Companion planting perhaps - onion or cabbage family, sage, thyme - their scents help mask that of the carrots.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MockTheCasbah-979852 - 3 years ago

Advice from an 'old boy': Fabricate a little wall around the exterior of the carrot bed. Carrot fly flies low to the ground, it won't fly up and over if there is something in the way.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jivedance-411773 - 3 years ago

When you harvest carrots dig them up carefully. If you pull them up and the foilage breaks or the carrot breaks the carrot fly are attracted by the odour.

Raised beds also help.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mavis cruet-909959 - 3 years ago

Don't take the fleece off yet! Carrot root flies are active from May - Oct. I've found late crops of carrots more affected than early crops in the past which is why I always keep them covered now