DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

What is a C U ?

Posted by jayjones - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 4 years ago

As said, the procedures in France are very different to the UK. We got the keys to our new build 18 months ago. At no time did anyone inspect the build in the way Building Control do in the UK, not the foundations, nor the construction to top of the walls, nor the roof - nothing. The only inspection undertaken, when completed, was EDF/ERDF checking the electrician's certificate before connecting power and the Mairie's drainage engineer who put dye down each waste pipe and gutter down pipe to check the water flow and destination to the right point where it connects to the public sewer and rainwater drain. This is the experience of everyone else we have asked. So nobody actually checks for conformity with any building regulations. Am I surprised ? No - this is France, where half the nation is employed in devising rules and regulations for the other half to ignore and nobody enforces anyway. That's the accepted way in France - nobody knows why or even cares, but everyone understands that you must have rules, so that  you know what it is you are not complying with - and who will know ? Or am I being  tad cynical ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 4 years ago

That must be something fairly recent or maybe regional because as we all know what applies in one region does not necessarily apply in another ,that is why a lot of people have been calling for everything to be regulised nationally which does make sense.

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 4 years ago

Sophie, when we had our extension built, they came round shortly afterwe sent them the declaration de fin de travaux and inspected it to make sure it was the same as the plans we had submitted. Then we received a certificat de conformite which iis an important piece of paper. Should you sell the property it is one of the pieces of paper the notaire will want.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 4 years ago

I never realised normes dont apply if you think they would spoil thé aesthetics.

As you say thé system is different from thé UK, here the plans are checked to ensure the building will be conforme. If you dont build as per plan that is your risk to take. There will likely be no issues until you come to sell. But you now have to include energy calculations in your planning application and no reputable French builder would do a non conforme conversion, it would be professional suicide.

However the cu is the first hurdle.

Sorry no image available

A lot of the energy normes don't apply to barn renovations due to the fact that most people who renovate barns like to see exposed timbers and stonework in the interior and don't want to cover everything with insulation and placo..energy ratings are used to gauge what percentage of a zero percent loan you can get towards the purchase or to do renovation works,there is no building control over here and I have never heard of anyone having their new property inspected to check the insulation is up to spec and I have as yet never come across anyone who has had their new or renovated property looked at to make sure its as the approved plan.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 4 years ago

Sophie, things have changed a lot in 5 years. There have been at least two major revisions to building normes. Mostly to do with energy efficiency etc but also tighter controls on land use.

Sorry no image available

My experience over here has always been go direct to the horses mouth then you know exactly what you are dealing with,or you can ask ten people and get ten different answers.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 4 years ago

Sophie-that is why you got the permission because you involved the Marie right from the start and did exactly as advised.Alesson to everyone I think

Sorry no image available

The attitude to converting barns is regional and all the info I supplied relates to my own experience in the area I live as I have also bought one done my own plans and got approval without any problems,I went to the mairie and did exactly as advised,the only hold up I had was the insistence on having a soil test done for the fosse and the provision of a fosse layout plan.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 4 years ago

You need to be aware that the attitude towards converting barns has changed recently in that whereas a conversion before was regarded as a positive thing they are now regarded as denying the agricultural industry storage space etc.In addition they are regs about how near to animal housing etc  a conversion can be and if in a National Park there may be further restrictions.Finally if you have bought land without CU even though there is a barn on it you are taking a bit of risk.Basically a CU is outline planning permission to say that the commune has agreed in principle that the land can be built on.If you go to the Marie they will have a Plan D'Urbanisme in place which will tell you where they want to see building.There is usually someone at the Marie who is in charge of this and of course going and introducing yourself to    the Maire and letting him/her know what you are trying to do. is also important. At the end of the day you may need to employ a pro to get over all the hurdles.Bonne Chance