DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Windows 10

Posted by lakeman-415065 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JB2014 - 3 years ago

If you don't like the Metro interface on windows 8 then either turn it off or install Classic Shell so that it can turn it off for you and give you back the start button you miss so much.

Iguana Rock. If you had googled "how to get rid of metro" on the day Windows 8 was released there would have been many results telling you how to do it. Remember, Google is your friend.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

"I wish I'd left Windows 8 well alone! Whoever was responsible for that really should not be employed!"

I have no particular objection to W 8 when upgraded to 8.1 to get rid of the multicloured swop-shop kiddie-screen but:-

We have Windows 8.1 on a newish Dell laptop and have problems. Dell are onto it at the moment.

So would tend to agree!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

I wish I'd left Windows 8 well alone! Whoever was responsible for that really should not be employed!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alpacas - 3 years ago

I have three sons in the IT business and they all say leave well alone until the bugs have been got rid of.  The offer is to get a few Guinea Pigs to find the bugs on Windows behalf.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JB2014 - 3 years ago

"take control of their own computer and avoid being force fed yet another Microsoft product"

I'm sure you don't mean that really.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

If anyone wants to take control of their own computer and avoid being force fed yet another Microsoft product it is very simple.    Below is how to do it in Windows 7

Go to Start/Control Panel/Installed Updates and look for update KB3035583 and simply uninstall it.  This will halt the new "nag" icon in its tracks.  You can change your mind later if you feel W10 is for you.

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

As an aside, if you don't like 8,  install Classic Shell and make it look and behave like Win7 or even XP

http://www.classicshell.net/

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Yes, I was aware of this some time ago when my sister sent me a link from the UK as she knew I had Windows 8 which I hate! The icon appeared on my screen this week, you just had to click on it to register that you want the free upgrade. It then said you just need to wait now and will be advised when it is available. (Microsoft must now know how bad Windows 8 is!).

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 3 years ago

Windows 10 is meant to be an improvement on Windows 7 & 8 but as always 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' could apply if you are happy with what you've got.

It might be worth waiting a couple of months before upgrading so that any problems can be ironed out, it's not called 'Bleeding edge' technology for nothing.

Sorry no image available
Posted by burmesecat - 3 years ago

Hi Lakeman

Had the same icon appear on Monday and have spent a bit of time doing some research online about Windows 10.  I am not very technically minded so can anyone out there tell me if this upgrade will affect the other programs I have on my pc?  Touch wood, everything seems to work fine at the moment and I would not want to do anything that would mess things up.  I would certainly do a backup before I contemplated the upgrade,  and I see the offer is free for the first 12 months, so if I was going to do anything about it, I would probably wait and see how other people rated it.

Burmesecat