DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Windows 10

Posted by shepherdscrook - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gogo Yubari - 3 years ago

If  ones remote back up and your data source are compromised simultaneously you are either seriousy unlucky or else one hasn't had the foresight to store them separately.

Copy to cloud always a good option, either paid for or free.

Sorry no image available
Posted by handy--man@hotmail.co.uk - 3 years ago

Very good advice about using an external drive for backup. As any virus that gets on the computer will also infect secondary drives in it.

Also only attaching external backup drives whilst actually using them is sound practice.

For belt & braces – you can backup sentimental files in the cloud as well. I stand to be corrected but I think W10 offers 15GB of free cloud storage. Perhaps others can clarify that?

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Oh and what if your external hard drive catches fire, gets stolen, packs up, or gets lost, what a dilema.

Sorry no image available
Posted by shepherdscrook - 3 years ago

I agree and that is why before installing windows 7 I am going to back everything up on an external hard drive so if all goes wrong I have still got everything and not lost anything.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gogo Yubari - 3 years ago

Backing up to an internal hard disk kind of defeats the object of a back up in the first place. If the machine suffers damage in a fore or is stolen, what good are the back ups then?

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Smartphone are indeed the future once they solve the battery problem, my daughter's iPhone 6 battery lasts five hours, most youngsters have no need of a home office so have no need of a tower, some still buy laptops but the one thing I am pleased about is the resurgence of vinyl.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

"The majority of mobile computer (smart-phone) users" are more likely to lose, damage, or have their device nicked than the user of a desktop (or laptop) and will be under far less pressure to "upgrade" their device by their service providers every few months.  Fine for people with money to burn.  Fine for people who haven't the skill to use a proper keyboard.  Fine for people who trust all their banking, shopping, and personal details to "the cloud" or a portable device that is easily hacked or cloned.   Yeah.  Progress.  You can have it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by handy--man@hotmail.co.uk - 3 years ago

Smart phones are the future. Hence Microsoft’s free upgrade to W10 and acquiring of Nokia as an attempt to regain supremacy ‘after’ the market has changed.

The majority of mobile computer (smart-phone) users have never owned a conventional computer and probably never will.

Anyone remember public telephone boxes? Markets can and do change with alarming speed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

I'm a desktop diehard.  They are the only device that can be easily repaired or updated by the home user.  Laptops and tablets are either very expensive to get fixed or throwaway.  And don't get me started on "smart (?) phones".

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ted-787870 - 3 years ago

Desktop and tablet seems to do the job for me as well, geegee42. The laptop is in a cupboard somewhere.