DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Wiring to external light

Posted by TwoBlues-439867 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by vivaofsnape - 3 years ago

The most worrying aspect is that either the earth wire is missing or an incorrect colour has been used. The earth must always be green/yellow.  you need to determine which is the live using a meter or test 

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

I think the first response was a bit OTT but I agree that unless you have the necessary testing equipment and the knowledge, leave it to the professionals. The wires you describe do not match any colour coding I am aware of.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lreilly - 3 years ago

Hi

It's obvious you are not an electrician and it is both  illegal and dangerous for you to install wiring. Should you kill or injury anybody your insurance will be invalid and you risk imprisonment. Your house may not be insured if it burns down and the probable cause is faulty wiring. The colour of your wires may not determine their use as it depends on who installed it originally and their competence and ability. If you have already installed or changed your wiring get a qualified and registerd electrician to test  your system and written comformation that its OK.