DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Wood burner/chimney problem

Posted by chilepepper-998208 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by chilepepper-998208 - 3 years ago

The joint in the pipe was changed as Fitter suggested, so it became impossible for any moister to run down the outside of the pipe, some of the wood used had become very wet after the cover had blown of the stack, and I had been running the stove on very low sometimes for days on end, thanbks again for the comments.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Millisle - 3 years ago

Am I missing something-?- Plouyepaul is correct-in my opinion,my long stay in CANADA-thro cold winters we were advised to do what he says--never had problem-stove staying in overnight,with addition of box/bag teabags etc--ARE french stoves so different--Burn hard and fast first thing--then no problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

After all the discussion and advice , it would be good to now nkow how the problem was solved , then we will all be wiser ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by chilepepper-998208 - 3 years ago

Many thanks for all the advice which has been taken and the problem has been solved.

Sorry no image available
Posted by plouyepaul - 3 years ago

I have always advocated running a stove flat out for the first half hour or so after lighting. Also dont over charge you stove. Wood should be no more than 10cm thick, once well lit and the chimney hot it will continue to draw well providing you don't shut it right down for the rest of the day/night and continue to add fuel. When adding more fuel bring the chimney back up to 'hot' then close it down after say 5 mins.If the flue is correctly fitted there should be no outlet for tar or any other substance running down the flue. Many people just slip the flexible over a solid dtove pipe, this would leave the opportunity for tar to seep outr and down the flue pipe and maybe ultimately onto the top of the fire. Fumes from this 'tar' is very bad if inhaled, you should sort this without delay so that any tar canonly run down insid ehte flue and burn at a higher temperature as it flows towards the stove.

If this is your issue it can be easily rectified by replacing the slip over connection with a proper connector which allows all product to pass up or down without being able to leave the flexible liner.

Hope this helps.

ps, many people are afraid to burn their stoves hot, we often have flames shooting up the bottom part of our chimney, once the flue is hot and close down we never have issues with blocked bends or tar build up. I clean our own chimney form the top with the cheap rod/brush kit from Brico that has served us well for 15 years with only one change of brush. It makes much more sense to sweep from the top, working with gravity rather than against it, plstic sack fastened over the flue at the bottom et voila!

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunshinedays - 3 years ago

We use a thermostat with gauge marks that is attached magnetically to the flue above the woodburner so that we know the temperature we need to keep the woodburner within; too low and tar will build up, too high and there's a risk of a fire and damage to the woodburner. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by hazy2 - 3 years ago

Mavis Cruet gave an excellent reply and she is so right.  We have 50 years of woodburning and we had the same problem on our small kitchen woodburner. We solved the problem by burning it hotter using boiler nuts/smokeless coal - charbon. Your chimney probably gets too cold, the wood may not be as suitable as you think. Dont keep it in overnight and burn it hot at least once or twice a day.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mavis cruet-909959 - 3 years ago

We used to keep our stove in overnight and used to get tar running down the flue too. We stopped bothering as apart from the tar problem, the glass doors would get very encrusted. I found it's more economical on wood and easier to just re-light it in the morning.

My brother in law who is a registered sweep and stove installer in the uk told me that if you run the stove low for long periods of time it's important to really open it up from time to time and let it run really hot to burn away any deposits that may be buiding up in the flue.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

remember Sooty nd Sweep?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

A good sweep should be able to tell you what the problem is and how to solve it. Sweeps are properly trained and qualified artisans - admittedly most of the time all you need them to do is sweep the chimney and write out a certificate, but as a rule they are also very knowledgeable about chimneys and woodburners and many of them also line chimneys. If they find a problem with the installation while they are sweeping they will tell you. 

Round here the new rule as of a couple of years ago is that you have to have your chimney swept and get a certificate for it twice a year not once. There must be a ramoneur or two on the council I reckon :-(