DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Wood Burner Installation

Posted by No longer Online - Created: 3 years ago
0 0

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by clarksinfrance - 3 years ago

While this bit of advice doesn't help the OP, it is something that can be easily done, and should be, on any and every contract.

Add a paragraph stating the date work is to start by, and to finish by, and that the contract will be cancelled if this isn't met. (Unless there are unforseen circumstances of course).

Stage payments are another idea to focus an artisan, say 30% upfront for materials, 30% half way through, and 30% on completion, with 10% reserved for 1 month, in case there are any issues.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bella-382361 - 3 years ago

If he cannot even be bothered to answer your e-mails he is not worth your time and sounds very untrustworthy. He is taking advantage of you. Cancel your cheque and get someone else. He broke the contract by not contacting you. Laid back or not, it is completely unacceptable.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Buster, I have had an offer on here from someone who is happy to speak to him on my behalf to try and resolve the problem however we are over on Friday and we are having a last ditch attempt ourselves with the help of our key holder to contact him.  If this fails I am in favour of a registered letter being sent whilst in France in the first instance and before finally demanding my cheque back.

Tigre, I agree with your comments, there is no exscuse for not keeping in touch.

At the end of the day all I need is acknowledgement from him that he received my cheque and the signed devis and an installation date, I would even be happy with a provisional date because I do understand that things can change, it aint rocket science!

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

Good luck with making contact.  It is the holiday period when little work seems to get done.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

There is a slight difference between laid back and not bothering to answer emails and not turn up when arrangements have been made and not apologise or explain. Ask for your cheque back, it just may make him get off his backside, the trouble is he knows you are not in France full time and he's taking advantage of this.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

I agree wholeheartedly - just saying as it is - the french work to live, not live to work, a completely different mindset.  Not as well off, but they are less stressed and on the whole live longer.  Things have been changing  in the 12years we have been here but not quickly.

We had a roofer - he did the work (eventually), we found later he couldn't finish when we expected as it would put his income above the fiscal years limit so meant he'd pay more tax.  On the other side of the coin, we asked him 3 times to come for the final cheque as we were going back to the UK - he eventually came, spent an hour talking and having a drink with us and then walked off without the cheque - we had to run after him to pay him.

I know that isn't relevant to getting a job done when you have signed a devis, but as you say this is France - we thought getting devis for a new fosse would be a doddle as the french neighbours also needed theirs done - 3 fosses to install, a lucrative contract - with the neighbours doing the phoning we still only had two quotes!

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

Have you tried geting a french speaking person to ring him or catch him at his house!

Praps he has gone for his holls.

Sorry no image available

Kerguen, it's a strange way of running a business and completely alien to me.  I own, run and operate my own business in the UK on a completely different basis, if I didn't I would soon be out of business..  Ah but this is France I hear you say,  yes it is and to date I have been lucky with the French Artisans that I have used, I guess I might just have to be a little more patient but I can't help feeling I'm being messed around.

Sorry no image available

I do have legal assistance for disputes on my house insurance so I guess this is a possibility.  Thanks for the advice and the info.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

Since living in France it has been my experience that there is no rush to do work unless it is urgent.  I imagine your man will get the fire in before the winter sets in.  Perhaps he found the flue he ordered was the wrong size or didn't arrive so he couldn't come and fit it or another urgent job turned up.  They don't think about letting you know, not necessarily refusing to talk to you.

The best way is talk to him face to face (with someone who speaks french) when you come over or send him a registered letter - putting your point of view and stating you want the work done/started by a certain date and if not the cheque returned so you can get another installer.  Often the registered letter focuses the mind!

Good luck.