DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

wood burner problem.

Posted by sabc15-427548 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

I think that filling the tank with sand is a good idea, as it would absorb the heat of the fire and would act a bit like a storage heater, releasing heat gently into the room after the fire has gone out, rather like an "insert" does, when set into a stone surround - but on a reduced scale of course. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

How likely is that ,how would condensation build up in a small vented tank inside the body of the woodburner,it can only blow up if it buillds up steam in a sealed container,if its vented steam will escape,I think leaving the tank empty also depends on whether it's cast iron or a welded up metal box.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Annabelle's Papa - 3 years ago

You NEED to fill the water tank with sand as a precauition, you can use the sand they sell at GiFi for childrens sand boxes orsilver/silica sand..

There was a programme a few month ago when an old Parkray exploded out of a wall and would have killed the person who had been sitting on the sofa a couple of moments earlier. Both in and out pipes were open but the report said it was likely that condensation had built up over a period of time and caused steam and then the tank exploded.

Sorry no image available

It's unlikely a small water tank would run ten rads and heat your water but it would boil up quick if pump failed or you had an air lock in a gravity system,you may be OK to use the fire without sand if you leave boiler connections open,my mother ran a parkray for years with an empty back boiler.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

Hi. even though it is called boiler it is not really,it is a small  water tank suspended internally horizontal at the top of the fire box,I  had not thought about filling it with sand,that a good idea and would save buying a new one,as for the warranty,the retailer said it would need to be returned to them for their inspection,but with the price of the courier not to sure it is worth it,as it is near the end of the warranty,as I had it a year before I got round to fitting it.sabc15.

Sorry no image available

Why is it scrap ? You can fill the boiler with sand if you are not intending to use it,after all they never do what they say on the box and you need a complex safety circuit if you intend to run rads or heat water,a leaking boiler won't affect burner lighting and should be covered by the guarantee if its new.

Sorry no image available

Mystery solved, a few weeks ago  I took the wood burner out and connected it to my compressor,to pressure test it,the pressure remained constant for 12hrs,so today I took the wood burner out again and this time filled it with water then connected it to the compressor and slightly increased the pressure, I noticed a very fine mist of water coming from the boiler,contacted supplier as I can see no way of removing the water boiler section and was told that it can't be removed it is welded and part of the structure of the appliance,so after all that time and effort it is scrap after all,at least I found the problem,thanks for all your suggestions.regards.sabc15.

Sorry no image available

It won't be cold flue,temperatures not low enough,don't use paper try the white parafin based lighters and small kindling

Sorry no image available
Posted by Annabelle's Papa - 3 years ago

Have you contacted the supplier, there may be a simple solution, from your link it shows they have sold and sell many stoves like yours and similar, their telephone number is on the link.

I would not buy another stove yet, it could be the cold flue as suggested, what make  was your previous stove ? We have swopped out numerous stoves in our time and they all react differently, even the same model in the same fireplace has slight differences.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sorry no image available

About an hour from Gourin.sabc15.