DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Woodburner & logs questions

Posted by thewritersroom-401251 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by thewritersroom-401251 - 3 years ago

Brilliant, thank you

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

www.bretagne-multi-energies.fr   You can buy kiln dried logs for delivery they are based in Quimper

Sorry no image available
Posted by seashore-10052757 - 3 years ago

I buy logs through my neighbour in 1 metre lengths. I did however notice that Castorama have a good range of cut and split logs in 33cm and 50cm lengths.

Sorry no image available
Posted by thewritersroom-401251 - 3 years ago

Great stuff, very helpful - thank you!

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

I have no personal experience of Godin stoves, but from what other people have said, they seem to have a good reputation. For a reliable and efficient installation it's best to use a professional to install - this is best for insurance purposes as well. Your installer will be able to advise on stoves and sizes to suit your needs. From recollection, the Madras stove is fairly small and I don't think it takes 50cm logs. If you buy logs from supermarkets etc, they will work out expensive and probably cut to 50cm - so too big. If you do an on-line search for vendeurs de bois de chauffage, you should find a few local suppliers, many of whom will deliver. You need wood of 20% humidity or less for immediate use - if say 25%, it needs to be kept until next season to dry out further. Prices will often be shown for logs of 50cm as well as 33cm, the latter being a tad more expensive, but probably the right size for your stove, otherwise you will have to cut them down yourself (perhaps with a chainsaw). You might find that fully seasoned wood for this winter's use has all been sold. If that's the case, you might have to resort to the supermarket for your first supply at least.

Bon chance 

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

I use the eco logs in a box from garden centre.