DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Woodburner vents

Posted by bulfinch - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

You're right Fitter - especially if the vent faces the prevailing wind, though an external cowl should reduce that a bit. The fire we had fitted came with its own flexible pipe (about 10 cm diam) to connect it directly to a wall vent, so the fire is effectively room-sealed, drawing in fresh air directly from outside - so no draughts. However, I imagine the majority of woodburners probably don't have that facility, relying on an air vent as close as possible to the fire.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

The problem with all these well meaning rules on ventilation areas is that it results, on a cold winter's night with a gale blowing, that you damn near get blown out of your chair with the freezing draught from the vents. We had this problem in the UK with gas fires.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

The vent near or behind the wood burner is for airflow,the fire as we know needs to draw in cooler air ,its highly unlikely it would ever draw in all the air in the house,the main idea of the vent is to stop smoke being drawn back into the room,most people have a vent you can open and close and close the vent once the fire is ticking over nicely, you can buy vented flue which allows air into the fire area,you need to remember that when the fire is not lit cold air is still being drawn into the room hence the need for a vent you can open and shut.

Sorry no image available
Posted by helicopterrob - 3 years ago

In Gb it is good practice to allow 550 mm square per kw up to 5 kw and then 850mm2 for each extra kilowatt.  I think the French regs however are covered here:

http://www.monchauffagebois.com/files/123660718799513/1250088855-55730.pdf

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

The main reason for an air vent behind the woodburner is to ensure that when the fire in burning, it doesn't draw all the air from inside the house - so more for safety reasons, but it wll also burn more efficiently. The "rule" was, I believe, set a number of years ago to anything greater than 5 kW, but newbuilds are so draughtproof these days that it is recommended to have a vent for any size woodburner in such homes. Some woodburners can be connected directly to an air vent, thus eliminating any potential draughts as it pulls in fresh air from outside.

Of course, as Anon says, if the house is a bit draughty anyway, there would be little need for a vent - but there is always the risk that at some later date, somebody might decide to fix all the draughts - and then the vent would be to be installed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Not necessary in my case.  The gaps under my doors are so big the mice come in riding piggyback.

Sorry no image available
Posted by KarenH-429930 - 3 years ago

My next door neighbours new fireplace has a vent pipe to the outside behind the woodburner.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

I have just had a wood burner fitted into my open fireplace, the installer has fitted a vent to the outside behind the stove.  I don't know what the official rule is but your burner will be more efficient with a good air supply.