DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Wooden Houses

Posted by Albert.Bunfight - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 3 years ago

Hello,

I am not sure of the price .. but when last asked .. 140,000 Euro  .. house with 5 acres of land ..

There is water connected but no electricity .. no plumbing or wiring .. no fosse.. no internal walls or plasterboarding .. in short just a insulated shell .. you can as much or as little you want to do to it to make it habitable ..

Granted it has South facing balconies overlooking the River Ninian Valley ..  and is ideal area for services, entertainment and shops.

Pm me for location etc ..

Rgds

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by Albert.Bunfight - 3 years ago

Hi Chris, My son and his Wife are looking to buy a Holiday Home in Brittany and they do not share the love of old houses as we do. They are on a limited Budget as they are financing out of savings. Can you ask your Neighbours what price they are thinking of for their house and the estimated cost to complete. I am not sure they would want that amount of land and would probably look to sell part to any adjoining properties that may be interested in enhancing their Gardens. Whats your commune like is it all Parisians Holiday Homes or are there any full time residents. Thanks Albert

Sorry no image available

Hello,

Here in our little hamlet where the houses are nearly all 17c or before .. ours is the turn of the 16C.. the new people that have bought these houses, as the old generation leave, have been from Paris.

Granted they are holiday homes for them, but they have still bought old houses ..

When they built this new wooden( three colours of finish) house, that has yet to be finished. They have now split up, and it is for sale, we thought it might be an asset to the hamlet .. the house has cost over 90,000 euro and is yet to have electricity, to be wired, to be plumbed and have a fosse..

A new build "lego" house can be a third cheaper completed ..

If anyone wants a new built wooden house, with five acres of land, overlooking the Ninian valley 56120.. please pm me ..

Rgds

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 3 years ago

Albert, since your original post I don't see that opinions have been "mixed".  All except one has been in favour and the one was ambiguous.  Since your second post one person has posted on the merits of restoring older houses, something we would probably all agree with but the fact is that there are not enough existing old houses to cope with demand for homes, therefore new builds are a necessity and ecologicaly responsible building is the way to go. Wooden houses fit the bill, it's called progress, like it or not it is here to stay. Architecture is no different to any other industry in terms of design, it changes, it evolves, new ideas come about, usually driven by need, in the case of buildings this includes a necessity to be ecologically sound.  I love to see old stone houses preserved and modern techniques mean they can be preserved and restored without much impact on the environment, but there is still a need for new housing stock and these new modern wooden housesvfitbthe bill.

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

We have quite a lot here on the North coast as well as some very contemporary 'coastal style' new builds. I'm all in favour of less stringent planning regs, no good just hankering after the past and I quite admire the local authorities, or whoever makes the rules, for allowing it. If it leads to more affordable housing, allowing 'normal' people, young and old, to be able to live in a comfortable house without being up to their neck in debt then lets all back it...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernana-407546 - 3 years ago

If I was rich enough and/or, be confident in being granted permission to erect one of such on or near the coast as opposed tho those - in  my opinion - non-descript breezeblock made white facia boxes of houses - then I would.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 3 years ago

On the other hand, here is a probable/reason/fact as I live in a small group of 5 typical, golden Perigourdine stone houses which have beautiful stone lauze roofs.  The original farmhouse dates back to the early 1800s and the now-converted surrouding farm buildings have various lintel dates on them of around the same time.  Mine was the old cow barn with mangers, dry-stone walls of 45 cms thick, earthen floor with 2-step levels and a large double opening for the hay cart to get in and store the hay up in the roof space and a entry door lintel which dates 178X, the year of the Revolution!!

Over time, down in the little cul de sac and bottom of the chemin rurale, 3 little modern chicken houses have been built and about 4 years ago, just down from me, now stands a modern, quite nice Mediterranean-style house but completely out of character and sticks out like a sore thumb.

The answer given to me by the Maire as to why permission was granted, he explained that many years ago (30), he had tried to get the little group of very old, rather neglected, traditional buildings 'classified' (not historical monument) to be able to protect the 'maisons paysannes in the Commune' and it was rejected.  There was, and still are, nothing therefore in today's 'rules and regulations' which  enable the rural Communes, the service authorities and the Maires to refuse planning permission if the updated environmental and other recommendations are applied.

In the past 20 years or so,, there now exists an Association which do their best to protect these old buildings all over France, hoping that the owners will invest and restore their local patrimoine in the original  way with its original features but which works out very expensive.  There are fewer and fewer true artisans still alive to do the work anyway!

If you would like to know more, Google 'Maison Paysanne de France' and your region.

Times have changed and people's aspirations of a 'home' are not the same.  Hope this helps reply to the OP's valid question.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Albert.Bunfight - 3 years ago

Hi, Thanks to all who took the time to contribute to my posting. Opinions seem to be mixed and I fully take on board all opinions. The argument for construction on cost is a little lost on me as this infers cheap and this is not (in my opinion) the way to go when stood alongside houses that were built by ancient craftsmen and obviously proud of there construction. I think Bretonlion has summed it up well in the fact that it is down to the design rather than the construction and the throw it up quick and cheap is in contrast with the thoughtful  (what will it look like alongside its neighbours) process that should be followed. Regards Albert

Sorry no image available
Posted by 001sugarplum - 3 years ago

There are a few of these Domespace houses around Bigouden.

I find them fascinating. There is a showhome in North Quimper.

http://www.domespace.com/fr/accueil

Sorry no image available

Hello,

Wooden houses are OK ..please do not get me wrong on this..

But there are wooden house and wooden houses .. design is a main feature .. they can harmonise into a location, or stick out like a sore thumb..

Those that build them themselves can have problems with not heeding the height and placement on a plot ..

The external cladding can mellow, or be painful to the eye for years ..

Living inside one you do not have to look at it all day long .

I agree with the insulation factors etc ..

Where we live there are a good few wooden houses .. most of them are OK ..

The one I see every day has the opinion by many that it is "ugly" and should have never been built the position it has been ..

Rgds

Chris