DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Wooden Houses

Posted by Albert.Bunfight - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 15)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

Is this not a logical extension to timber framed construction favoured in the UK? The French have taken the logial step to dispense with the brick cladding -  an affectation of UK tradition and planners - and gone for wood exteriors. 

This construction is extremely practical based on total cost of ownership, carbon footprint and efficiency. Your  concern seems to be aesthetic,  you may have a point though once landscaped and with the wood mellowing over time they become part of the evolving environment.  Rather wooden houses than the stark white stucco boxes some hamlets seem to prefer.

BTW in Norway some of these houses have lasted many hundreds of years.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Martin King-393934 - 3 years ago

Can only agree with all the posts so far.Good insulation so low energy costs,cheap and quick build,building in the style of the age,all makes sense to me.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

Hi. Albert,I am hoping to build a wooden house next spring,there are various reasons I chose timber house,first of all is cost,secondly ease of build,it can be well insulated,I intend to get a team from the manufacturers to erect the frame and carry out the rest of the works ourselves,the kit comes with roof/walls/widows/doors/staircase etc.etc.we lay the over site the manufacturer erects, cost effective? we shall see.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 3 years ago

Our neighbours sold their traditional Breton stone house in our hamlet and built a modern wooden house, still in the hamlet.  5 years later, the wood has mellowed, the house blends beautifully into the landscape and inside it is a cosy, modern, ecologically sound house.  No doubt the Victorians didn't like the "new" Edwardian architecture!  That's life!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Emu-408495 - 3 years ago

Why not visit one of these houses and have a good look at it.  Talk to the people who build them and find out why they do so.  Talk to people who live in them.  If you had all the information about these buildings you would be able to make an informed comment.