DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Word processing software

Posted by lakeman-415065 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by chriscowleyunix-445517 - 3 years ago

OpenOffice is pretty much dead. 99% of the community that developed has moved over to Libreoffice.

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

You can download Libre Office free of charge here:

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/

It is widely used in schools and in public services because of the cost of buying licences for Microsoft Office.

Sorry no image available
Posted by brodeuse - 3 years ago

I worked for a city council (one of the largest ) in UK before I moved here and we used Open Office as our standard.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

If you are ever likely work from home and share files with clients or colleagues, unfortunately you can run into problems if you don't have MS Word because whatever you think of it, it's still the standard for most businesses. Other word processing software claims to be compatible with Word but it isn't always 100%, and sending people files they can't open or that don't display properly leads to a lot of frustration and wasted time and will lose you customers.

If it was purely for home use, it would be Open Office or Libre Office all the way for me.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gonzague - 3 years ago

Just go and get an old version of MS Office 2003 for 20 quid from Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000AZJVC?keywords=office 2003&qid=1442945509&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1.

It's solid and reliable and has massive functionalty. MS Word is the best word processor.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Colomban - 3 years ago

I'm not very happy with the latest version of Apple Pages - does anyone have an opinion on Open or Libre for Mac users?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry no image available
Posted by demonhighwayman - 3 years ago

I've found Libre Office to be rather good, after I discovered they stopped making Open Office, it was actually a journalist in the UK that recommended I try it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by euros-391165 - 3 years ago

ive used word amd open office in the past but have recently started doing more cloud storage and all the applications on google +/drive (including word, xl etc equivalent) ar really good and free of charge. 

only problem is you need a good internet connection to do any work.

i think for home use today you dont need to pay for anything, lots of good free alternatives out there to microsoft.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lakeman-415065 - 3 years ago

Much food for thought and options to try. Thank you to all posters.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

Used Open-Office for years no problems with it at all. From my side it has a series of benefits:

+ It is free, with the ability to read more file formats that MS Word

+ Not Microsoft

+ Regular updates 

What is not to like? The other choices if you have a tablet is something like Android Office - that is free too.

Bon chance