DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

BBC Met Office Contract

Posted by ferrandiere - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

When it really mattered for me, ocean sailing the Met Office wasn't on the list for forecasts, Portugese, Fench, Spanish were much more accurate.

Sorry no image available
Posted by aramanta - 3 years ago

If you can have a listen to What's The Point of the Met Office? on Radio 4. Still available on iPlayer.

There are lots of "weather companies" - I think the skill is interpreting the data. The rumour is that the BBC weather presenters, who are employed by the Met Office, and really are weather forecasters not nice looking presenters, are likely to continue and I think that's the strong point of the current BBC service - not the data but the informed interpretation and presentation.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 3 years ago

As we live in France I'm not bothered what the BBC do.

Sorry no image available
Posted by buttermaker - 3 years ago

For the weather that I want I don't go anywhere near the Met Office. Meteo Frsnce and even wetter.de suit my needs far better. I just find it strange that the BBC is dropping its link with the Met Office to save money yet they retain their entourage of highly paid 'celebrities' because they feel that the public demands them. I know wher I would rather my licence fee went!

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

Sorry, didn't read your posting properly! It's probably like utilities, other providers buy from the 'main provider' and use their facilities but seem to be able to supply the product more cheaply...I guess this is what the BBC think...they can probably get the same info but more cheaply than going to the Met Office directly? I couldn't quite understand why the Met Office can't put in a quote if it's going out to tender?

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

I'm probably being thick as well but I'm guessing that other providers may actually buy the info from the met office anyway. Apparently the BBC only accounts for 1% of the met's turnover so they must have a lot of other customers...forecasters among them? Just a thought...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

I'm probably being thick here but why does it matter who the BBC use? If you want to get forecasts from the Met Office you can get them from the Met Office's website. Yes the BBC are probably shooting themselves in the foot because people will stop going to their website for weather forecasts but I don't see it as a problem for the public, all they have to do is replacee the web address in their browser favourites.