DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Changes to State pension age for women ...

Posted by Lynne&Ham-782094 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lynne&Ham-782094 - 3 years ago

Update.

An excellent debate was held in Westminster Hall, December 2nd concerning this issue and proposed by Barbara Keeley MP. It made the issues very clear. The debate was well attended and there was support from MPs of all parties. You can watch the debate here:

http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/616c1049-330b-420b-a3f5-db25c6bffbbb

One of the MPs who spoke in support during that debate was Tim Loughton (Cons) MP for East Worthing and Shoreham. He has also made a video expressing his views:

https://www.facebook.com/TimLoughtonEWAS/videos/1684472225169210

(He has made a slight error in that free prescriptions are still available at 60 for men and women in the UK and have not been delayed. However, of course that does not affect us in France.) Tim has said that he is happy to hear from anyone affected by this issue and not only those who are his constituents. This is great news for the British living abroad who may not have access to a British MP. It offers an opportunity to tell their story, express their support for the WASPI campaign and the need for fair transitional arrangements.

There are more than 47,300 signatures on the petition today. Please keep sharing about the campaign.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chris22-401384 - 3 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PPS8ZrphDA&feature=youtu.be

Baroness Joan Bakewell speaking about the issue yesterday on TV.

Sorry no image available

for Mrs Agnes Brown :-

Thank you. That is exactly the kind of organisation that is so useful and proves why local knowledge is so important. Is there any chance that you can contact them and pass on the information?

Update: Following Baroness Joan Bakewell's appearance on BBC Breakfast news, 23rd November and her question in the house of Lords the same day  the numbers of signatures on the petition has been growing rapidly (currently at 39,500 plus). You will find the question, the comments from other Lords and the responses from Baroness Ros Altmann here: - (Scroll to 15.03 pm)

http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/ad5f914f-13f2-4e5e-b64e-a011c3cd27f6

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mrs Agnes Brown - 3 years ago

I have now signed the petition and will get my husband and family to do so too.

To reach further people in Brittany, you may wish to contact direct the AIKB - Association d'Integration de Kreizh Breizh at Gouarec - who may well email all their members with details of this subject - there are a good number of retired people in Brittany as well as pre-retired.

There is another reason for doing this too for lady expats living in France.  Effectively their access to the health system via their right to Old Age Pension will no longer kick in at 60 but will now be 66 - that leaves a big gap of non coverage for health care for those who fall in that gap.  Employment for ladies of a certain age is very difficult in France - especially if French is not their native tongue.

In many ways, it is perhaps a more important issue for ladies of that age living in France.

Good luck to us all.

Sorry no image available

So now we know the truth - the DWP did not write to the women concerned:

http://paullewismoney.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/women-given-just-2-years-notice-of.html

Sorry no image available

I assume that you saw the Govt. response on the petition page? The work is still going on. Women in the UK are meeting their MPs face to face (letters tend to bring the "standard response".) The petition reached a third of the way to 100,000 last weekend and today is at 34,700 - and still rising steadily (petition started 20th October) . Women are also using supermarkets, shopping centres etc in order to hand out flyers. There have been some very useful articles in the FT, The Independent, The Daily Mail, on money saving expert site etc and WASPI have had coverage on TV and radio. Baronness Joan Bakewell will ask a question in the House of Lords on the 23rd November.

The legal advisers are still working and are now considering the Govt. response.

In France we have succeeded in increasing the number of signatures but there is more sharing and signing to be done. So keep up the good work everyone. There are flyers to print off on the WASPI facebook page if anyone would like to hand those to women of the right age!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mrs Agnes Brown - 3 years ago

So any update on this very interesting subject please?

Sorry no image available

When you reach state pension age the government will calculate how much you are entitled to receive based on your national insurance contributions. Under the current system you require 30 years of contributions  for a full basic state pension but I am sure that from April 2016 you will need 35 years for  the new flat-rate one. This just illustrates I suppose how complicated the whole thing is and how people do not know about changes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Watty-794352 - 3 years ago

Yes, that's right Lynne&Ham.  I worked full time for 44 years and didn't receive any sort of rebate even though I needed only to work 39 years (as it was then) in order to receive a full pension.

If  that qualification period has now been reduced to 30 years, it does mean that a person may take an early retirement (if they are in a position to do so   ...   perhaps, because they have a reasonable work pension) and still receive the full state  pension when they reach state pension age.

I do agree that it's the lack of information that is the main point, as well as, perhaps,'moving the goalposts'.  

In 'my day' this was never a problem, thank goodness   ...   nothing ever changed!  Women received their state pension at 60 and men at 65, which I never really understood, especially as women had a longer life expectancy than men!. I was just grateful to be female!  This wasn't the case at the company I worked for   ...   the official retirement age was 60 for both men and women (and we earned the same wage for doing the same job   ...   even back in the 60s).  

Sorry no image available

Indeed it is true that men's pension age is rising too but no man will face a delay of more than a year. Some women will wait six years. Men also had eight years notice of a one year delay. WASPI is not campaigning against equalisation but do not agree with the way the transition has been implemented for some 500.000 women born in the 50's.