DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

EU referendum

Posted by Yasminh14 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mr Oleo Strut - 3 years ago

Fear not. Common sense wil prevail. I hope!

Sorry no image available
Posted by bunnyrocks - 3 years ago

Have just been reading this - http://blogs.angloinfo.com/sure-but-im-english-not-french/2015/05/19/so-if-the-uk-recinds-on-the-maastricht-or-lisbon-treaties-us-ex-pats-are-stuffed-wrong/

Sorry no image available
Posted by staffordian - 3 years ago

We only just qualify as we have lived here 12 years and by the time of the referendum it will be 14.

As I said previously we have never felt the need to vote before as normally feel it is up to the inhabitants of the UK to decide who they want in power,but this time it will concern us greatly.Might sound selfish,but we feel the need in  our own small way to help the Yes camp.    We quite enjoy getting a pension increase each year,pitiful as it is and having  a Carte Vitale.We also enjoy belonging to Europe.We are aware of its failings,but if we are in it we might be able to change it gradually.

Perhaps if the UK changed its benefit rules and made most of them  so you have to contribute it might  help matters.

Sorry no image available

Staffordian - that's fine for those of you with voting rights, but not so good for the rest of us who've been here more than 15 years and whose futures will depend on on the outcome  of the referendum. My hope is that the issues will be properly and fairly presented to the electorate.

mickrest - there is much in what you say. There certainly seems to be a 'blame the foreigner and the EU' attitude prevalent in the UK, which is foolish and narrow-minded. There is, of course, much wrong with the the EU, but overall I am of the opinion that its best to be in the club than not.

and smellyoulater - living in mainland Europe as I have done for years certainly confirms that it would take many galloping horses to drag it in the direction of sensible change. Sad thing is that there are so  many blinkered obstacles in the way, but best to keep trying for the common good. 

Sorry no image available

Staffordian - that's fine for those of you with voting rights, but not so good for the rest of us who've been here more than 15 years and whose futures will depend on on the outcome  of the referendum. My hope is that the issues will be properly and fairly presented to the electorate.

mickrest - there is much in what you say. There certainly seems to be a 'blame the foreigner and the EU' attitude prevalent in the UK, which is foolish and narrow-minded. There is, of course, much wrong with the the EU, but overall I am of the opinion that its best to be in the club than not.

and smellyoulater - living in mainland Europe as I have done for years certainly confirms that it would take many galloping horses to drag it in the direction of sensible change. Sad thing is that there are so  many blinkered obstacles in the way, but best to keep trying for the common good. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by smellyoulater - 3 years ago

No matter what the outcome of any referendum  ' A blind man on a galloping horse ' can see that the EU needs to reform / change.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mickrest - 3 years ago

I don't think you need have too many concerns. There's a hard and vociferous core of anti EU feeling in the UK, but the silent majority understand the many advantages of remaining in the EU. I no longer live in France, but I, along with many others, have a vested interest in the UK remaining in the UK. Having said that, there is a real need for reform within the EU (e.g. to make it more financially efficient, to reform the CAP etc.) and if the EU can show that it is amenable to reform before the referendum takes place, it will help to strengthen the pro EU vote.

Sorry no image available
Posted by staffordian - 3 years ago

I am pretty sure Oleo Strut that ex pats in other EU countries will be allowed to vote,if you have lived abroad for less than 15 years.

EU migrants in the UK will not be allowed to.

As there are 2million of us Brits living in the EU ,the ones living here for less than 15 years should have a vote.

Please get and use it,or don't complain after about it.

Sorry no image available

There is indeed cause for great concern about all this, Yasminh14 and others. To start from basics, as I understand it EU law says that if you have lived in an EU country for at least five years you have the right to live there permanently, which is good news. But as regards the Carte Vitale, I don't know. If the UK was not in the EU there would be no automatic right to healthcare unless some special arrangement was made, which I think would probably happen. But I am concerned that a lot of anti-foreign attitude is coming out of the UK and that there could be retaliation here. I do hope not but who knows. I am under no illusion that the UK government has no interest in us whatsoever and I am very angry that British expatriates in EU countries will not be allowed to vote in the referendum. All in all I am very concerned about this.

Sorry no image available
Posted by berger-423858 - 3 years ago

I hope all the British people who live in EU countries register to vote if they are still eligible. We must make our voice heard as there is so much at stake. Brits living here are directly concerned with the effects of the referendum; yet so many of us will not be able to vote on this important issue.

We must tell friends and family in Britain of our concerns. They will be affected also if Britain leaves the EU. The company they work for might move to another country, one which is in the EU so they  might lose their jobs. Tarifs might come in which would make goods more expensive and Britain imports so much of its foodstuffs so the supermarket bill would be bigger. They might need a visa to come to see us or go on holiday to a country in the EU.

We must not be complacent. We must fight to remain in the EU.