DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Local Council want £350 for a complaint investigation

Posted by oakley-419073 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by oakley-419073 - 3 years ago

The council here say they charge very little to ask them a question (£350) and councils are allowed to charge up to £700 !!!  My point also is that apart from my complaint why are the people who work in the council so very dim and stupid not to be able to answer a very simple question on the phone.  I feel like talking to a person is rather strange to these people and that the general public are just a nuisance so they say to you  'refer to the website .................'.  

I remember a long time ago when they charged nothing if the complaint was serious and I could talk to a real person !!!

They are now starting to charge people for wheelie bins and (if you do not pay) they will confiscate your wheelie!!!.  Surely that is covered in the council taxes??     I can see that loads more fly tipping is going to happen. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

The high hedges legislation was thought up and introduced by John Prescott. You may remember that he was, at one time, deputy prime minister of the UK, god help us all.

He left it up to local councils as to how much they should charge for the inspection, and wouldn't you know it - the councils decided to fill their boots on the back of homeowners who had problems with their neighbours high hedges.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cookatreat - 3 years ago

In the UK -

If it is a question of past cases , or regulations , A freedom of information request must be answered by the council , enclose a £10 fee only .

to get advice and an investigation into your case will probably fall into the planning department area , and there the councils tend to have minimum fees , but £350 seems high , so it's worth checking if they have quoted the right price .

you could also include electern councilors or your mp . 

There is also the court route , but this can be very expensive and time consuming ( uk courts have become very slow since cuts in legal aid and court service funding)

'the other option is say nothing to anyone and chop them down or poison them under cover of darkness !  Just make sure you are not seen , b you will have to choose .............

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

What tone? I thought Normandy ranger was a tree surgeon and should be aware of the UK regs regarding height of hedges and usually Google is what you use to search for stuff, but anyway have you had any joy with your hedge problem?.

Sorry no image available
Posted by normandytreesurgery - 3 years ago

geegee42 - Normandy Report abuse  No but if you as usual Google it you should turn it up and you being a tree chopper I would have thought might be aware of the UK regs regarding leylandi. End Quote   No need for that tone is there?  Jason  

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackorjason - 3 years ago

Interesting read Geegee - surprised some couldn't find it !

Sorry no image available
Posted by oakley-419073 - 3 years ago

Hello,

Thanks for all your helpful replies.  May be hedges is mainly a Norfolk/Suffolk thing.  I don't know why the council have to be so petty and greedy  and don't understand why the neighbours should be so nasty over such a minor thing.  I have been to the C.A.B. on two separate occasions (nothing to do with this) and I found them hopeless.  They only told me to go to a solicitor!!  That's the thing I would like to avoid because of the time I would reluctantly have to spend in the UK.

Kernoboy,

I would proably be throwing away £350.00 as (from the very stupid reply I received) I would not get anywhere.  No one who works in the local government will take any decisions at all - everyone is too afraid and act like little mice - it's pathetic.  Just see the geegee42 post and that is the mentality I am dealing with.  Will do a google about the regulations that I had not thought of doing. 

Sorry no image available

Yes then probably win, find the neighbours are so poor and want to pay you a pound a week, stop paying after a month then you find yourself as the plaintiff on here come the sheriffs or can't pay and we take it away.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Before moving to France I was about to make out a complaint about our UK neighbour's hedge.

I found this website very helpful then and they are still going.

http://www.hedgeline.org/index.htm#MAIN

Hope this helps-best of luck.

There is a legal case somewhere that if you pay your £350 or whatever to register your complaint and your complaint is upheld - then you could sue the neighbour in the small claims court to recover that fee.

Sorry no image available

I thought the op wanted an idea of how he stood legally, not some usual drawn out council investigation, the receptionist at the local authority should just tap the keyboard click on print and hand over a copy of the law, it in the UK just like over here should be part of the service to the public that they should be providing.