DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Midi Pyrenees

Posted by Init - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by oakley-419073 - 3 years ago

Init,

Farmers will work on the fields in the middle of the night in the summer rather than try and cope wth the heat during the day, when they would shut themselves away with the shutters closed..  There were lots of street parties in the summer where whole towns would be closed off for the event.  Communes seemed to be far less greedy than in Brittany such as free broadband for the commune, holiday home n a ski resort owned by the commune solely for commune use.   Tree frogs constantly calling out.  Wonderful fruit from the trees.  Th best views ever.  Beautiful skies with shooting stars.  Do regret leaving very much but the summers were unbearable away and hotter than Abbi Dhabi most days. It stopped raining in the middle of April one year and didn't rain again until the middle of August. Here in Brittany you can enjoy having a garden and be outside in the summer most of the time.    

Sorry no image available
Posted by Init - 3 years ago

Hi Bella, 

how is the way of life different?

Ian

Sorry no image available
Posted by bella-382361 - 3 years ago

Some of the places are so beautiful. We lived in the Gers and had it not been for the unbearably hot summers would have stayed there. It is vastly different to Brittany in the way of life and the climate.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Init - 3 years ago

Thanks for that good info Bretonne. Yes we are looking at a very broad area, possibly up to Toulouse or east to Languadoc. Where ever I lay my hat !

Init

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

oops! I missed one department - the Haute-Garonne ...

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

It's a huge region divided into 8 departements - Ariege, Aveyron, Gers, Lot, Hautes-Pyrenees, Tarn and Tarn-et-Garonne.  All are very different.   My preferences are the Tarn and the Ariege but probably because I know these depts better than the others ....

The climate throughout the Midi-Pyrenees is vastly different from Brittany (I used to live there) with very high temperatures in the summer.  Parts of the M-P are affected by the proximity to the mountains and this affects the weather.  Before you decide why not spend a couple of holidays in the region.  It is very beautiful and parts (eg the Aveyron) are still quite "wild" and remote.