DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Referendum

Posted by emkay-983983 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Yes it would be bad if we all had to reign in a bit, Greece comes quickly to mind. Last year I returned to the UK and due to my father's health I had an NHS experience, it was an experience I can assure you and the failings had nothing to do with being in the EU, the hospital was overflowing with English pensioners not freeloading EU citizens, the NHS is at tipping point, social services are there as well,most of the countries infrastructure is way past its sell buy date. Leaving the EU will not suddenly turn the UK into some democratic free trading utopia. Europe is going through a transitional period, the plan didn't include the near collapse of the banking sector and the bailing out of nearly everyone which has cost billions of Euros. France is a sleeping giant, well educated workforce, terrific infrastructure, most of its industry still exists and it doesn't rely on house sales and setvices to make a living, Germany seems to be a very well run country, so I'm confident that once we have cleared this all doom and gloom period and the French government changes next year things will pick up, I'm quite confident that Europe will work with or without the UK, I would prefer it to be with the UK but it's not the end of the world if they vote out.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kate.fitch@orange.fr - 3 years ago

gee gee, would it be so bad if we all had to reign in a little bit? No pain no gain, the problem is we all like the cushy life but it can't last unless  we face reality. This fantastic market of 500 million is a myth. There may be that amount of people but they are all skint. The market has dropped from 40% to 15%. but "They" don't want you to know that.

What we really need is good honest calm debate.

Sorry no image available
Posted by wagers - 3 years ago

Firstly I agree with cookatreat as your postings seem based on reality and Geegee you missed the bit where the fees paid to the EU are raised each year (by the UK) by raising funds on the bond market which will leave our children and grand children paying for this fiasco for years to come. The advantage spoken of, access to a market of some 500 million people does no good when 499 million of them have no money. Hopefully the folks that can vote will extract the country from the gravey train for the rich, Uk is a net contributor and the majority receive more than is paid in by them. It is an interesting thread and only a few resorting to insulting others opinions so far.

Sorry no image available

My scenarios are all correct, democracy is nothing to people who have nothing. Yes the UK could refloat is fishing industry apart from the fact there are no boats, no fisherman and a lot of old fishing ports no longer exist as fishing ports, yes it could grow its farming industry, a lot of farmers have gone bust or packed up, over sixty percent of food is imported, over sixty percent of animal feed is imported, in fact over sixty percent of everything is imported. The most easily exported product of all is banking, simple to up sticks and leave. Yes I agree the UK could indeed do all the things mentioned by cookatreat but over a period of years not months. What happens is this, pound falls through floot, cost of imports shoots up, cost of living shoots up, people can't pay their debts, black Monday through too Friday, this doesn't take years this takes days, then its marching in the streets, then fighting with the police, gets worse and worse. It's better to stay in and implement change from within than have no control whatsover from the outside. Yes the UK imports shed loads from Europe and will continue to do so because it no longer has the capacity to produce it itself, all I ever hear is how well the service sector is doing, and how well the housing market is doing never how well industry is doing. I think if the UK was a business it would probably rank somewhere alongside Woolworths, borrow borrow borrow until the computer says no.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Steve51-907091 - 3 years ago

Perhaps the 'problem' is no so much with the EU but more with the European Parliament!  As far as I can see, the individual heads of Government have no control over the Parliament and therefore no control over any of the meddling laws it passes.  I feel reasonably sure that MEPs are sensible, logical people, however, I said 'reasonably sure,' because I was thinking of Nick Griffin and Nigel Farage types voting on laws.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cookatreat - 3 years ago

Geegee , sorry but again you profess no knowledge of something then pronounce firm belief in a regurgitated. Doomsday scenario !

i think the central theme is democracy and improving the lives of those in our country and in the lives of our neighbours . Economics are important , but they should be second to democracy and free choices . 

Apart from the direct costs , inefficiency and fraud involved with the United States of Europe project ,there are the threats to the economy of remaining in a United States of Europe. Whilst not a fan of large sections of the financial industry , it is a central part of the U.K. Economy and has been for centuries , that is certainly under threat from eu regulations. London's place at the centre of this industry is under threat from the Middle East and Far East , and eu regulations designed to support German and French banks would certainly harm things .

given that the continental countries sell far more to the uk , than the uk does to them , there is no reason to think a trade war or trade embargo would happen , 

'returning farming , fishing and energy policy to a uk government would certainly help those industries , give the uk help with improving animal and enviromental policy and enable a fair and correct implementation of any policy .

at present , the eu sets the amount that can be safe guarded in any uk bank account , this could be raised outside of Europe control . the eu controls what help is given to what businesses , again a uk government could decide its own policy .

with regard to gold reserves , it was mr brown who sold most of our gold at a very low price and bought euros ! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cookatreat - 3 years ago

Thank you yellowperill , that's very kind of you ,

'and I agree with your comments too frenchdog ,

Sorry no image available

I have noticed a theme running through the out camp, give us back our freedom, seems to be no thought whatsoever of the financial implications. I don't profess to be an economics wiz but I can see one or two little problems. Worst case scenario, UK votes out, financial institutions panic, pound falls through the floor, UK PLC has sold the family silver to service debt, sold the gold reserves to service debt, has no cash reserves, cannot raise interest rates because millions of people are already up to their necks in debt, game over. Best case scenario, votes out, financial institutions feel UK can manage on its own, no big panic, UK gracefully extracts itself from the EU. Probable scenario, slight panic, things start to settle then housing market collapses and UK enters the bust cycle.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chaspuss-413808 - 3 years ago

I'm deviatingting from the subject Frenchdog..........I said it as a cliché.
Your view is your view, I'm sorry you took it as persona, because it wasn't..
What makes your mind up is personal. Myself I reckon it's big money which corrupts. So I don't think it's a "war" on the EU, but I do think the big companies need to be reigned in, and I don't think leaving the EU will do that. I feel myself that the USA is a much bigger menace to the UK than the EU........that said, it's my personal view and if no one else likes it they are welcome to discuss it!
SO for me, out has mor cons. than being in.
Oh, and we've been in France for just 7 years, but I've been a fan of the EU since school in the 70's.

Sorry no image available
Posted by crozon-879822 - 3 years ago

Well said frenchdog we agree with everything you said.