DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

rule Britannia

Posted by keith B55 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mickrest - 4 years ago

I've been permanently resident in the UK now for 5 years on the outskirts of a large northern city, having spent quite a few years in France. I would certainly contest any claim that the UK was in decline - quite the reverse. There's a thriving cultural scene, lots of positive urban development, less crime and people seem to be living well.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Hayling Billy-445324 - 4 years ago

Thanks for your comments about the south-west of England and how it has deteriorated. I did a quite in-depth survey some years ago  about why people came to France to start a new life. One of the main reasons was that, quote, Britain was going to the dogs. From your response and my post bag It seems that feeling is still extant and perhaps even stronger! Thanks again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Linsolom - 4 years ago

We have found that the north south divide continues in France (way of thinking).

There were far less  social problems below Bristol but now the south are coming into the real world very slowly. 

Go and live in a northern city for a month only a month and take in what tough times and deprivation exists in the UK.

Not many from the north rubbish Brittany Ferry's oh the restaurant service was terrible. and the duty freehad run out of my favorite cigars and who cleaned my cabin.

Northerners are just glad BF exist, a ticket to a better place.

The dinner party's over. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Martin King-393934 - 4 years ago

Hi, I live the South West (nearly off the end) having moved down from Grimsby which had really declined over 20 years or so.The extreme SW has its problems but they do not impinge on my life so much.In my commune in Brittany things still seem positive,upbeat,honest and down to earth.I dont think it will stay that way forever as already there are indications of the influence of American/English culture being embraced.(takeaway packaging on the roadside etc.)Change happens but perhaps not as extreme as some suggest.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dangermouse-440611 - 4 years ago

hi all well we moved over here just over 5 years ago from paignton in devon where we lived for just under 20 years,we had seen the area go down the pan to be honest, all night discos in torquay young girls staggering around the streets in the mornings,women getting there bags pinched by hoodies on push bikes,women getting raped in the parks, i got asuaulted twice walking my dog for no reason,so yes the west country has gone down the pan,would i go back no way i will die here.derek

Sorry no image available
Posted by Hayling Billy-445324 - 4 years ago

I have looked at hundreds of these type of discussions over the years and in the ocurse of work, and it  is still  strange  to see people taking such unrealistic,  entrenched and extreme positions. Do you, Iguana,  really believe  that, in your words,    a once  beautiful  region of the  south west of Britain has become somehow 'dirty and  scruffy  and poor  and downtrodden and defeated' in just four years? Do you seriously think that is possible without some absolutely cataclysmic event? How could  the topography and esprit change so dramatically in  that brief moment? If you think about it logically, what  do you consider  caused you to make  such a statement? Could it be that your memory and recall of  the area was not accurate, and you saw something on your last vvisit that was actually always there and compared unfavourably with your new home area?  Or did you see what you wanted to see on your visit to justify your move away from that region? Please do not think that I am meaning to cause offence or  doubt your feelings and convictions, which I am sure are sincere. I am  genuinely interested and just asking you to consider  carefully what you have  said, and then respond if you will. As I said, I have seen such extreme statements many times and always wonder what causes them to be made. Thank you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

I hope you have a great life back in the UK. Life in France obviously hasn't suited you.

It's still a fact that France and Britain are listed fourth and fifth in the world rankings for economic strength based on GDP. That's France above the UK by the way. People who take short term snapshots of numbers published in the right wing press need to step back, take a look at the bigger picture then go and do a course in stastistics to get a better understanding of the quality of data.

Au revoir.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

Bye keith, not much else to say is there if that's how you feel, but thanks for sharing it all the same.

Just out of interest, why did you leave the UK in the first place?

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 4 years ago

I'm sorry Keith, but I find your remarks offensive. we are retired but we don't throw perpetual dinner parties.  We like it here, as I said, regardless of the politics.  For us, it is not, as you suggest "time to go home" But if that's how you feel, go, no one is stopping you.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 4 years ago

I guess we all have our different reasons for deciding to live here. I certainly don't recognise the 'dinner party set' but we don't live in an expat area ('we are the only Brits in the village'!!)

And I am sure that for every positive thing about being in the UK there is a negative, as with most things. But, for us, we have no doubt that life here gives us everything we could wish for and more so we have no desire to return to the UK.

So I would say to the OP be very careful what you wish for because the memories of the UK you left may not be what you encounter when you return. We left there just over 4 years ago and were shocked and saddened to see how dirty, scruffy and poor our once beautiful region of SW England had become. It had a downtrodden, downbeat, defeated feel about it. Truly awful to see.