DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Thinking of Moving to Ireland

Posted by Sesmarias - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sesmarias - 3 years ago

Thank you so much to every one for your thoughts and experiences, I appreciate it.

I am not terribly unhappy here, in fact I have a lot to be grateful for and a better quality of life than I had in the UK, but something is just missing. Excitement, fun and adventure. Brittany is a little tame, it is undoubtedly chocolate box pretty, and the Bretons lovely people. But we miss having a Craic and having something else to look forward to other than just eating and drinking with friends, I feel I am getting old before my time.

From my research Ireland is also very supportive of anyone wanting to start their own business.

if there is any one else out there  with thoughts or experiences of Ireland please feel free to add your comment.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernana-407546 - 3 years ago

Second to what I posted. People would ask you how you are as you were walking down the street, and I do mean virtually everyone. The prices were about equal to what I see in France, apart from the property. Many more businesses open. Having a meal out was cheaper than France and better quality. And the drivers were far far more courteous, far far more. And the scenery was stunning, absoluety stunning, but it was the interaction and friendliness and helpfullness of the people which done it for me. No surliness at all.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

I too think it's beautiful. I've only been to Dublin/Wicklow and County Cork but liked what I saw.

But I did think it was expensive for 'every day' things so I think you would see quite a difference if you left France to live there. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by mavis cruet-909959 - 3 years ago

My niece lives in Co Limerick and says it's always raining and the cost of living is very high but she still loves living there

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Agree with all the other posters have said-had several trips over there and it's a lovely country with lovely people, I usually ended up around the west coast, Clare, Connemara etc, I do recall it was rather expensive just after they changed to the euro, don't know what it is like now. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by crackeroo - 3 years ago

The one thing I missed when I moved from Ireland to France 30 years ago, was the friendliness, the laughs, the jokes.  

The other thing that I still miss today, is the wild and beautiful scenery in Ireland which I have never found the like of, apart from Tasmania.

If I could, I would move back to Ireland straight away. I can't because of family, grand-children and money/jobs, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate. You put up with the winter, ok it rains but it's windy rain not the awful grey/white drizzle you often get in Brittany, (although sometimes that too, but we call it a "nice soft day".

The last thing is, if you have horses and dogs, well Ireland is the kingdom of horses and dogs are considered part of the family.  You can have enormous fun in Ireland.

Best of luck! Caroline

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernana-407546 - 3 years ago

I can't vouch for what it would be like to live there, but we have just come back from a 2 week visit there and have nothing but praise for the people there? Very very helpful, kind, considerate etc etc. And it is a beautiful place.

Sorry no image available
Posted by garethe - 3 years ago

my wife is Irish so we visit quite a lot. She's from the west coast in Co Clare, if you think Brittany rains a lot - you have another thing coming. If I was ever going to move - i'd pick the South West, Kerry, Cork area or the North West. Also i find it expensive compared to the UK and France. However good luck!