DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Voting in the EU referendum

Posted by noblesse-404553 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

I personally have no idea about the goings on in Strasbourg or Brussels, as far as waste and gravy trains are concerned I have no idea about what's happening there either, subsidies it seems we have two options, subsidise the farmers pay less for food, don't subsidise the farmers pay more for food, and have loads of small farmers go bust, as far as some evil plan to take over the world led by Darth sidious Merkel, I can't see that one happening. Most Americans seem to treat capital hill the same way we seem to look at Brussels, all forms of government waste vast sums of money and it doesn't matter who one  vote's for they all do it, hopefully it will be a close stay in vote which might be a bit of a wake up call for some politicians and we can get on with things as normal.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Laurie Driver - 3 years ago

Bearfoot,

What I'm saying is that Cameron and the UK definitely are part of this club, as are all the other major countries and their senior politicians, and the problem with it all is that the overwhelming majority of the general public no nothing at all about it.

When the people go to the polling booths they think they are voting to elect a government to govern their own individual countries yet this hasn't been the case for a long, long time. All the plans and big decisions are being made in secret by the wealthy industralists and their ilk and the politicians are simply puppets who implement these plans and decisions rather than 'rock the boat' by informing the public of the truth and it's been this way for decades.

Regards,

Laurie..

Sorry no image available
Posted by bearfoot - 3 years ago

With the Scots, the Northern Irish and Welsh (apparently) in favour of staying in the EU and Little England wanting to leave perhaps the ultimate result would be the break up of the United Kingdom? Could be interesting times ahead. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

The OP started on the basis that everyone who can, should vote - I agree  but the UK government doesn't. If it did it would legally require, like the Belgian government, all of those who are entitle to - to vote by law.

So why is the UK seeking a referendum? Simple - the internal dynamics of the Tory party. Neither the Liberals or Labour favoured the referendum. Nor are any other EU governments going down this route.

As for too many immigrants coming to the UK claiming benefits - this is false. For EU originating immigrants  the vast majority work and pay UK taxes. As for in work benefits - if a UK citizen pays UK tax and is entitled to such benefits why not their fellow worker even if from some other part of the EU. This is the discrimination argument.

Yes there is a discussion about the cost, the subsidies and the waste. However the UK government and populous need to complain and work for internal change. Sadly, UK politicians, even Mr Farage,  are either actively living off the EU "gravy train" or seeking to get on it. Outside the EU these same politicians would seek a similar gravy trains except this time paid only by the English tax payers since the Scots would leave the Union. It is a simple choice which is the least worst option. I'm voting to stay in! Cameron has shown himself to be a weak fraud in getting this referendum that will waste a lot of time and money achieving little.

Sorry no image available

OK Laurie, So I am sitting here wearing my tin hat reading the link. Take away the conspiracy theory part and sure there is a bit of truth in everything but are you saying that Cameron and the UK are or are not part of this club?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Laurie Driver - 3 years ago

From the comments made by some contributors it seems to me quite evident that they have absolutely no idea of what all of this EU nonsense is about or where the 'powers that be' are intent on leading us and the only thing I find more frightening than the information on the following link is that fact that so many people are completely unaware of it.

Please people, read what's on the following link!!!!

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-true-story-of-the-bilderberg-group-and-what-they-may-be-planning-now/13808

Regards,

Laurie.

Sorry no image available

Indeed mighty empires come and go. The british empire went along time ago leaving just a small overcrowded island. Get over it and be part of something better. Please no harking back to the good old days of the '70s and before, it was crap - strikes, rubbish piled in the street and power cuts. Yes the politicians are corrupt, lying so and so's but it's the same the world over on a local level or international level. It's a small planet and perhaps it's about time to just get on with our neighbours and search for our common ground.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cookatreat - 3 years ago

It is a case that the people of Britain were not told that a United States of Europe was being built , government papers released recently show that there was deliberate deception by Heath in the 70's and kinnock, Blair, major and Cameron have all denied that there are any plans to build a United States of Europe . Unfortunately , even now , you won't find any senior uk politicians being open about this . 

if the United States of Europe is such a worthy ideal and aim , it would be best to give people a free choice in advance , and not scare people by saying it has happened so get over it . 

Mighty emipres come and go throughout history ,

honesty , truth and freedom are ideals worth pursuing , those ideals have been and are absent in the European project . 

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

I'm with geegee42 here.  There is a lot of talk in the social media about some kind of conspiracy for the Europe but, as geegee says, a united Europe was the aim from way back.  If the UK didn't understand this, or if it thought it could just go along for the ride until the going got bumpy, then it was mistaken.

Is it possible that there is another conspiracy?  One whereby the big countries are trying to divide Europe to weaken it?  Break it up before it becomes too powerful, after all, it is one of the biggest markets in the world.  There is perhaps more than one way to view the situation.

It seems to me that the people with the most power on this planet are those who hold the purse strings - bankassurance, petrol-rich states, multinationals.  We don't get to vote for them, do we, but they wield enormous power over us.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

I don't think it's ever been a secret that the ultimate aim was a united states of Europe, and our lives are all run by unelected bureaucrats already, we have governments that only thirty odd percent of the population vote for, it seems the Swiss are the only ones with some sort of fair referendum system, I hope we eventually end up with a system similar to the US but preferably not run by a handful of very wealthy people.