DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Baby hedgehog help

Posted by bijoux-434299 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bijoux-434299 - 3 years ago

Thanks Kate x

Sorry no image available
Posted by kate.fitch@orange.fr - 3 years ago

Hi Bijoux, it's tough to see them in trouble and even if you kind of know they will probably die I, like you, would find it hard to ignor them and let nature take it's course. You tried, and that's the main thing,  Please don't get too upset.

Regards, Kate

Sorry no image available

i have tried the gsb asso..left a message and no reply.. Yes french dog totally agree..had they not been wandering round my flower beds and on the road in full daylight I wld of probably left them,,, I have seen the three larger ones today...but not the two smaller ones! I fear maybe they have died :( 

Sorry no image available
Posted by kate.fitch@orange.fr - 3 years ago

this is just an observation, may be correct, may be not but many years ago, my vet at the time in Devon told us that if a little wild creature had a lot of fleas, so many that they were hopping off the animal, that could be a sign that the creature had a raised temperature and was probably going to die from some illness or injury or in the case of new-ish borns maybe a defect from birth. I am not suggesting you don't help them but do not be surprised if they don't survive. Maybe mum knew there was a problem with them and didn't waste her precious energy trying to raise them, or sadly, she may have been killed herself. Nature is tough and I think we would be very upset if we knew the full extent of the struggles and battles that go on daily in our fields, hedgerows and gardens. Wildlife really are the heros on our planet.(and well done you for trying to help them, good luck)

Sorry no image available
Posted by simone2-422892 - 3 years ago

Hi, contact the gmb they help all mammals www.gmb.asso.fr

Sorry no image available
Posted by FreeSpiritSmallHolding - 3 years ago

You could try here;
 http://voleedepiafs.eklablog.com/volee-de-piafs-a64233621
Going by google maps, they're 40 mins away from Loudeac.
You may have to keep trying on the phone to get through to them, they're very busy. 

Sorry no image available

by the way I hv read that in a litter of 5 usually only 2/3 make it in the wild....

Sorry no image available

spoken to them already!  Yes eyes open,,,2 are smaller..the larger 3 are eating the dog good i hv given them! The two smaller ones won't eat...I hv now put them back where their original nest was as they can get away from the flies there as fly strike in hedgehogs is awful!  St tiggywinkles reckon mum has just left them a little bit too early....i wld bring the weak two in but they are riddled with fleas,,,so much so when handling them all with gloves on the fleas were crawling all over me!

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

Bijoux, the babies that are in danger, do they have their eyes open? If yes they may take some cat/dog food (not fish flavour). If not keep them warm and telephone St tIggywinkes (UK) tomorrow on 01844 292292 if you can, they will give you the best advise.