DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Bee keeping

Posted by sball - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnnyVegas - 4 years ago

It is me that is starting to run the beekeeping courses.

Can't advertise too much on here due to Anglo-Info rules.

Steve who used to run the courses gave me all his course material to carry on the courses a few years ago and so it will follow his methods plus a few of my own thrown in to the mix.

I will be at Bulat-Pestivien on Sunday if you want to chat or just send me a private message through Anglo-Info.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 4 years ago

Forgot to say - we're about to start bee-keeping but will follow the top-bar hive route because it's meant to be more natural for the bees... we bought a book from Amazon called The Barefoot Beekeeper, which was quite useful.  You can order bees from a place in Daoulas near Brest, but you need to book them in advance and have your hive set up and ready so you're in a position to go and collect your bees when they're ready.  I forget how much they are - around 150 euros I think - but it's a good starting point.  Gamme Vert sell at least some equipment, and there;s someone on ebay UK called Simon the Beekeeper who sells loads of stuff and will ship to France - no idea what the quality's like, it's our first time so  have no comparisons to make, but we've taken a risk with suits, smokers and a soft brush. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 4 years ago

There's a new beekeeping person set up recently, seen him at Bulat Pestivien and Plusquellec Sunday markets in his white camper van thing.  Sadly I can't remember what he's called, but he'll likely be at Bulat this coming Sunday (19th).  He runs courses, and also sells gear I think.

Sorry no image available
Posted by last orders - 4 years ago

You are right Phil, I should have checked. Sorry for the duff info.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Philealing - 4 years ago

I think you'll find that beekeepersinbrittany.com closed down when the owner, Steve, went back to the UK a couple of years ago.

Sorry no image available
Posted by aramanta - 4 years ago

You could try offering space in your garden to a local beekeeper for the first summer. Pick the right person and you could get lots of hands on experience at no cost and some free honey. It's worth getting to know other beekeepers for help lifting hives and hive parts and dealing with swarms so your local beekeeping club, if you can find one, is a good first point of contact. And it's good to know an experienced keeper who can be at hand with help and advice for your first couple of summers. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by last orders - 4 years ago

Have a look at beekeepers in Brittany.com

Theres also a Facebook page Beekeepers-in-Brittany

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnnyVegas - 4 years ago

Take a look here: www.saveourbees.co.uk

course on 26th April

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 4 years ago

I'm a registered and qualified bee keeper so would be happy to try to help you.  Costs do add up but not to the extent of 1200 Euro or anything near that amount.

You can quite easily buy a second hand hive for 100 Euro, a nucleus for 70 Euro and protective clothing for 50 Euro.  For extraction take the combs to the local club.  I think you could get yourself going for under 300 Euro.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Philealing - 4 years ago

You don't say where you are. When I started a trip to the Bee museum at La Faouet was a good starting point. The gentleman there has a shop with lots of beekeeping supplies and was very knowledgeable and helpful.