DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Border Collie and Husky

Posted by Minky-384999 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by susanne-498396 - 3 years ago

@ countrydweller

Actually, I'd be thrilled if a former owner showed a bit of interest and shared some older stories about my new friend/four-footed family member-- and I happen to know about 170 other families in the same category, to whom I adopted out our little association's foster dogs. All were happy that we took an continued interest. It is in everyone's interest that pets are treated well. If someone gives up a pet or pets for whatever reason, this does not imply that the next guardian has a intrinsic right to abuse them nor neglect them. Whereas it is a good idea to have a contract of some sort, both involving first right of return and certain garantees of well-being, most people are too squemish or too timid or too desperate to do so.

Incidentally, the dogs were also happy to see us and equally happy to stay in their homes, when we left after a visit  -- For them, it is equivalent to having a greater flock -- expansion of 'flock numbers', when there is plenty to eat, is generally welcomed in social species. It is a myth that the dogs are terribly unhappy to see their former family 'flock members' leave again after a visit. That is (mostly, no rule without exceptions) only true if the new place is lacking in love and care.  Pets too like to see (dog) friends that they have not seen for a while, even if the visits are intermittent. I've had that experience running a dog home.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rockandroll2 - 3 years ago

if you have a chip no ,ask at the vets ,they can trace the adress to go with the no ,

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cumbrian-440719 - 3 years ago

Good Luck, I hope you find them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Minky-384999 - 3 years ago

Thank you, that had made me feel a little better. It's not like I'm going take them away I just want to see how they were getting on. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cumbrian-440719 - 3 years ago

I can understand why someone might like to know how the dogs are doing. I am still in touch with one person from whom we have rehomed dogs and was a little surprised not to have contact from another. I would not be at all bothered by a previous owner contacting  me to find out how they were getting on. In fact I'd welcome it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Minky-384999 - 3 years ago

Hi there, the circumstances were out my control and I only found out a year later. Had I had know this at the time i would have taken them. I know I might be opening up some wounds. But it never settled with me not knowing where they went. All I wanted to know if they were ok. I was devastated when I found out they were rehomed. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Why? THey are no longer your dogs and as has been said already it will cause you nothing but a problem and how would you feel if the old owners of your dog turned up wanting to see it?Highly miffed I would say.Just leave it move on and do something with your life

Sorry no image available
Posted by diversolo1 - 3 years ago

by searching for the dogs you may be creating heartache as if you do find them and they are not being treated how you would treat them thats where the issue will be. It's your call, but just be cautious though, good luck