DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

broody bantam

Posted by rockandroll2 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 4 years ago

Oh dear :(. It's a real learning experience isn't it! If you'd like some fertile eggs for her, and you live around Rostrenen / Carhaix, I can let you  have some? But be aware at least 50% of any hatchlings will probably be boys, so you'd need to have plans for unwanted cockerels.... Otherwise good luck, and keep us informed!

Sorry no image available
Posted by rockandroll2 - 4 years ago

hi  i now take the broody off the nest each day for food and water as advised .she has stopped laying and i think put the others off as well .she has turned into a little monster ,and i have to wear gardening gloves to handle her . time will tell .  many thanks  for all your help

Sorry no image available
Posted by rockandroll2 - 4 years ago

many thanks for all the advice

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 4 years ago

Can you not get a few fertile eggs for her to sit on!

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 4 years ago

A fully broody hen won't lay eggs, she'll just sit on the nest - even if there are no eggs in it.  Some people (me included sometimes) just let the bird sit, lifting them off the nest at least once a day to eat and drink and poo and dust bathe.  However, if you only have a couple of birds and need the eggs for yourself, this may not suit!  Also, although in 'theory' the bird will only sit for 3 weeks (the length of time eggs take to hatch), it can go on for longer, and this can result in the bird's health suffering. 

If you want to follow the traditional route, you need to sort yourself out with a 'broody cage'.  I use a dog crate, but any secure cage will do as long as it has an airy bottom, so to speak! The idea is that the bird is uncomfortable and won't want to sit, and also it keeps their bum cool which as Renard says is supposed to help.  Be warned, you WILL feel awful, and it'll probably take 2-3 days before you can let her out again. Attach food and water to the sides of the cage, not on the floor, because she'll knock them over otherwise. Make sure she's got shelter from the weather (including shade from the sun), and don't be fooled by her 'pretending' to have got over her broodiness - she'll almost certainly try to fool you at some point!  Listen to the noises she's making - they make a funny bocking gurgly sound when they're broody - mine stop this briefly and ask to be let out, but immediately start again when the door's opened!  I've had many a merry chase trying to re-capture them. 

Let us know how it goes :).  Good luck!

I usually put mine to roost with the others at night so they don't lose contact - apparently it can be hard for a broody to re-integrate with the flock, they lose all their status - but I think a normal chicken keeper would say to leave them in the cage 24 hours.  Your call, you know your birds best :). 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Renard35 - 4 years ago

I have heard that dunking their bottoms in cold water is supposed to help.Never tired it with mine.

Why dont you get some porcelain fake eggs and let her sit.Keep taking the fresh ones she lays away because usually birds dont actually sit until they have a good clutch.