DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Camelids from France to UK

Posted by bella-382361 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by oakley-419073 - 2 years ago

Hi Meadowsweet,

I am sorry I have forgotten what LOC stands for.  Think it might be something to do with transporters.  Anyway we never did do the move and still have alpacas here in Brittany.  We have them microchipped but I will not have those horrible tags put on their ears like some people do.   The last time I enquired about transportation (at least a year ago) I was told by a transporter (who regularly transports backwards and forwards to France) that you must not have a mixed load.  For example you cannot have an alpaca and a horse in ther same vehicle even though it might have come from the same home!!!  Defra are full of stupid laws that do not work and they all sit in their golden towers and actually know nothing, they are just pen pushers.  Goats do not come under the same laws as alpacas I think?!!.  I think you can class them as pets but I am not up to date with the transport regs.  Best thing is to ring a large international transporter and ask them. 

Goats are smaller than alpacas but we have safely transported a couple of alpacas in a large people carrier.  They were quite happy in there and just sat down looking around and chewing on a haynet.  We put rubber mats down and had a ramp to get them in and out.  We did get some strange looks at the traffic lights!!!

I wanted to send you a private message instead of posting as there always seem to be some people who want to tell me that I am doing it the wrong way!!!  Hope I have been some help to you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Meadowsweet - 2 years ago

Hello folks, I appreciate this is not a recent discussion but can anyone tell me what the LOC is or what it stands for I can find no info online.  I too am trying to take my goats back with me to the UK so any suggestions I would be most grateful...Thank you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bella-382361 - 3 years ago

AQ

Have contacted LOC and theye very helpful. They are getting back to me with what is needed. Thanks again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Bella, it's a shame that DEFRA were not more helpful (and the racehorse transporter). You are right that DEFRA is responsible for the legislation (which is why they should have been more helpful). I used to work for DEFRA before I retired several years ago and I am ashamed of the attitude of some former colleagues - they clearly forget who funds their salaries and the fact that they are there to serve the public.

It is true that your proposals are not imports, as, technically, there are no imports at all between Member States of the EU, simply movement of goods (animals in your case), which is why they call it "trade".

As suggested, best speak to a firm that transports animals (but not racehorses).

Sorry no image available

Hi,

Thankyou for your replies. Have given up on Defra after 4 phone calls to different departments. Nobody has any clue about anything and it is like noeone really wants to bother to advise you on a thing because they know nothing at all. I wonder how many people would be able to understand a form they sent to me about the legislations. They don't call it Import any more it's Trade. We are not trading so it's not applicable. Surely they should be the ones to quote these legislations as they probably made them in the first place!!! Quoting numbers does not answer my questions. Thanks a lot for your advice - I will be looking into LOC and the vets. I did ask a couple of horse transporters but I got some nasty comments that I should dare to bother a Racehorse transporter anything and waste their time!!

Sorry no image available

Hi,

Thankyou for your replies. Have given up on Defra after 4 phone calls to different departments. Nobody has any clue about anything and it is like noeone really wants to bother to advise you on a thing because they know nothing at all. I wonder how many people would be able to understand a form they sent to me about the legislations. They don't call it Import any more it's Trade. We are not trading so it's not applicable. Surely they should be the ones to quote these legislations as they probably made them in the first place!!! Quoting numbers does not answer my questions. Thanks a lot for your advice - I will be looking into LOC and the vets. I did ask a couple of horse transporters but I got some nasty comments that I should dare to bother a Racehorse transporter anything and waste their time!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynette-392826 - 3 years ago

You need to speak to a horse transporter as they will be up to date with all the regulations.  I know LOC regularly transport Camelids.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

DEFRA is the right body to ask, without any doubt. The difficulty is probably not being sure whether your alpacas are pets (for the pet transport scheme), or classed as farm animals. Try again to speak to someone. A different person will perhaps be more helpful, but you will not escape forms, which might look complex, but take it step by step.

Posted by DebW - 3 years ago

i haven't transported alpacas but always found when I had a question about animal transport regulations the people who know best and always spoke in my type of English were my vets.  I found DEFRA had no practical knowledge and just seemed to quote rubbish at you, depending on who you spoke to in the same office the answers changed.  speak to a good English Veterinary Practice.