DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Car Training

Posted by Tryval - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Really kind of you all to reply, she is a lovely dog, its sad we can not include her as much as we would wish!

Just lost the other older one (diabeties), who could not get in the car fast enough, or the boat btw, she was a voyager that one, Thanks Again ALL, BILL

Sorry no image available
Posted by shepherdscrook - 3 years ago

I have 5 border Collies today and 1 has always screamed when in the car whether out or in the cage - covered or uncovered -  then put her on 'calmdown' from CSJ supplies in the UK and it worked - not 100% but stopped the screaming.

She was OK until a car pulled behind us or we stopped and there was someone passing the car - so not frightened of the car but a real pain. Calmdown worked and it doesn't make her sleepy as a tsp full is given in her feed every day so it is not just a one off thing.

It may or not work for you.

Sorry no image available

Very many thanks all, lots of practical ideas we shall try, thanks again,

Kind Regards, Bill (and Bijou, woof!!!).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Janouk - 3 years ago

Yes totally agree about the cages, our two travel in cages with no problem and one of them used to be a real pain with whining when travelling, they both have cages at night, they've been used to them for 6 years now, which is why we're not sure what's sparked off the one that has started whining in the night - not the one that used to do it in the car, she's always been brilliant in the car and loves it (only that she's very jumpy about all noises and hates it if a log on the wood burner crackles and we wonder if it happens in the night, although we shut it down) - hence going to try the spray I mentioned  earlier.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sprossie - 3 years ago

I hope this helps. Our dog  was sick, shook and wined every time she went in the car. Tried the short trips, food, treats, then we bought a cage it was the answer to all her prayers. She can't wait to get in the car now and there's no shaking or sickness. We even have a cage indoors which has a cover over which she hides in if there's any noises that frighten her. Mine is a Lurcher and I have been told that they are similar in attitude towards car travel, noises etc as border collies. Good luck.

The cage has been the best thing we ever bought for her.

Sorry no image available
Posted by shepherdscrook - 3 years ago

First you feed the dog in the car - not moving - then after she associates the car with her dinner/breakfast etc then you can move the car a short distance whilst she is eating. little by little drive the car further . You'll find she will soon associate the car with food and after a walk.

I bought a pup that was car scared and I did this and it worked and after a short time she would just settle down and relax in the car. Always give her a biscuit in the car as a reward.

Putting her in a cage will help as she is safe but not by covering it over as this can often get the dog more excited/stressed  and afraid as it cannot see where it is going. - tried it got the t-shirt and it didn't work!!

All my dogs travel in a collaspible cage so that I can also use the cage in the house to get the dog firstly used to it before putting it in the car with a blanket/vetbed with the smell of the dog on it for reassurance.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Janouk - 3 years ago

Have you tried the anti-stress product Adaptil? It comes in three forms plug in (obviously for in the house, so not for your problem) a collar (which might not be practical as the dog must wear the collar all the time and once the product is "released" it lasts for 4 weeks, so not for "ad hoc" situation, however, it also comes in the form of a spray, which may be of use to you. I have just ordered a spray for one of our dogs, as she has started, for no seemingly aparent reason, to sometimes whine in the night, so will try it on her just at night. You can only try these things can't you? Good luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul & nadine - 3 years ago

I had a similar problem. I cured it: each time I took the dog for a walk I put her in the car and drove about 100 yards to the fields. I did this twice a day for a few days, and she began to associate driving with fun. Very quickly the problem was solved. I don't think putting her in the car for a long time would have worked. It was a bit tedious, but worth it

Sorry no image available

Thanks T, no it,s fear, was thinking of her basket with some bikies, and just putting her in the car for half hour here each day, your theory/solution is worth a try, oddly enough she hates the sea too.

Kind Regards, Bill.

Sorry no image available
Posted by telljan - 3 years ago

Is she whining with excitement? Perhaps if you put her in a dog crate and covered it so she couldn't see where she was going? Dogs like their crates, we have found and can't wait to get in, so even if she's whining with worry she might like her own 'little nest' to be in. Just a thought, as we had one years ago that did the same, especially as we neared the sea and drove us potty!xx