DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cat shelter or RSPCA equivalent

Posted by Gypsy Fun - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by tezzy - 4 years ago

I emailed the person looking for a kitten and told them about this one so hopefully they will be in touch with each other and the kitten will have a new home.

Sorry no image available
Posted by skydiver-437154 - 4 years ago

hi. and hello,      NOTICED  your plight ref. kitten........a poster on here was looking for a kitten,   PLEASE have a check to see who it was.......MAY  solve youe problem.    

Sorry no image available
Posted by kevanfee - 4 years ago

Did you get a solution to your kitten problem?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Live&Love - 4 years ago

The vets in rostrenen by the mairie will sterilise kittens from 5 months. Incase you manage to find a home for her/him

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gypsy Fun - 4 years ago

Hi Daisydog, will seek out a vet in Carhaix as well as speak to Alex at the animal charity suggested by Tigre. Thought i'd tackle this after this bank holiday weekend. Thanks;-)

Sorry no image available

Dungey1, we will although it does seem a difficult task here with so many cats around that adopt homes on their quest for survival. fingers crossed. ????

Sorry no image available
Posted by Daisydog-1000162 - 4 years ago

Hi, we have been in a situation very similar to yours. 2 very young kittens were 'left' in an neighbour's barn by the mother cat - neighbour not interested so I fed them etc thinking I would be able to find them a home. Unfortunately there are so many kittens around it is very diffcult - so in the end we kept them much to my greyhound's disgust! Not much help to you I know but  I thought I would answer to say you can get kittens sterilised from 2 months (ours were 3) - they can get pregnant from about  5 months.old. So if you had her' 'done' she could go out & you wouldn't have the added stress of keeping her indoors. Not ideal I know as you don't want another cat. Ask at other vets iin your area if you decide to go ahead. Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dungey1 - 4 years ago

Gypsy fun...fair enough, but now she has had the chance if a good start in life, please try hard to find her a loving home. Chances are you will not find a rescue place to have her And if you did, they are not at all nice.

'Our'' cat 's last kittens which she had prior to us moving here permanently, were intent on living in our garden and loved me with a passion because I ended up feeding them as well as mum. Russells killed one of them....the other two I desparately tried to get into a rescue place, contacting any I could find to no avail. I was desparate....and after several weeks of having to take the dogs out in the garden on leads because the kittens had no fear, I found someone local to me who took them in to join their various dogs and cats they already had.

A couple of years on, they are happy, well loved members of the family and I still very much enjoy visiting them. 

Sorry no image available

Hi Dungey 1, 

Thank you for your reply. We already have a a dog and cat - neutered, both of which we brought with our move from down under as they are a part of our family. We are trialling out life in France, ensuring our kids settle in nursery and primary school here and then me and hubby need to sort our life's and future for jobs etc. We are not definite we will stay as we may move onto UK, I don't really want us to have another pet at this stage and really don't want to take it onto the UK if we leave as moving pets is not cheap. If we definitely knew we wanted to stay permanently it would not be an issue. she has already cost me as when she arrived she had weepy eyes and sniffles which has been rectified with the vets. As we didn't want our cat to catch when they arrived from down under. We have given her, her 1st injection, we have wormed and flea treated her and wanted to neuter her asap. But the vets won't do it until she is 8/9 months so keeping her indoors isn't practical for us as we are renovating the place we live in for our parents and she hates it. Our parents who accepted the kitten don't even like cats unfortunately but I think took it on out of politeness too. As she has had time with our kids and pets she has become more friendlier and would make someone a nice pet. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dungey1 - 4 years ago

Why not just keep her ? .....she won't cost you anything much and will give you years of love and enjoyment. We inherited a semi feral cat when we bought our house 6 years ago...and apart from getting her spayed (100€) which was a necessity as she kept having kittens and we moved over permanently 3 years ago with two Parson Russells who are partial to a cat or two....she would have got her feet firmly under the table if it wasn't for them....but she knows not to enter the garden and I feed her twice a day....doesn't cost much...and worm her...tablet costs cents....and have a twisty removal stick for any ticks...she's a great ratter/mouser......and she puts a smile on our face when she has her 'mad moments' in the sun.