DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Do animals experience loss and feeling abandoned??

Posted by mollypoodle60 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cumbrian-440719 - 3 years ago

There are 2 animals  in a post on Angloinfo Loire this morning  originating from a Facebook share by a French person  who are clearly not only feeling loss and abandonment but are also in fear of their lives.They have beenleft  at a vets - destruction Monday.

Can anyone help?

Sorry no image available
Posted by oakley-419073 - 3 years ago

Having rescued previously abandoned dogs that had been left in the road we know they feel loss and abandonment and they never get over it.   Sometimes when we are out for a bit too long we will come back to find our recyclables scattered around.    I cannot understand how someone can decide to move to France with animals and then decide to move without them.  I only assume that the animals did not mean much to them in the first place and they should not own any animals, especially those types who will shut poor dogs up in a barn - that's really cruel..  May be those types havn't the intelligence to know that dogs and other animals have feelings.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Jack Russells are indeed a difficult dog,they tend to consider themselves as part of the family hierarchy, but I would gladly have another one,my neighbour is a keen hunter and keeps beagles,another nice dog,he has eight penned up ,they only get to leave their pens when it's hunting season,it is shameful sometimes how we treat other creatures and also each other.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dungey1 - 3 years ago

Kidneybean....we originally offered a home to one of the 8 year olds because we thought it wouldn't stand much of a chance of being rehomed at that age.. They wanted the other 8 year old to stay with its daughter....however we were told they didn't get on with other dogs so we had to say no.

they then offered us the younger one, which we ended up homing....leaving them with the two 8 year olds. They had been left with all 3 after the girls mother returned to the UK however she and her partner had 3 young children and couldn't cope. She advertised them on Angloinfo in a different area....I honestly don't think the two that were left would get rehomed, not spayed...no inoculations...not dog friendly......and a russell which needs a lot of understanding and patience !

Sorry no image available
Posted by mavis cruet-909959 - 3 years ago

andylekker - yes, the eating of meat and the welfare issues surrounding is also a very emotive, controversial subject but is a whole different debate. We are talking here about companion animals who share our home and what responsibilities we have to them as they are totally dependent on us.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Cats tend to adjust,dogs depends a lot on their quality of life before they changed homes,we have our daughters jack Russell, lovely little dog,she left it with us while settling into a new flat,once settled she took the dog,poor little thing couldn't settle and just sat all day looking at the door,she brought it back to us and it was as pleased as punch,ran round and round like a mad thing,amazes me how us humans seem to think we are only ones allowed to have feelings.

Sorry no image available
Posted by andylekker - 3 years ago

how do all those concerned about animal welfare feel about the terrible treatment of animals in the meat production industry? do you make that connection at all or is it just the cute fluffy ones?

pigs for example are more intelligent than dogs, something to think about when tucking into that bacon sandwich...

A.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mavis cruet-909959 - 3 years ago

'I do not believe that animals experience loss and feeling abandoned. They are animals after all.'

Sorry but really don't agree with this. We rescued an 11 year old abandoned Fox terrier from the SPA in August and it's clear from his behaviour that he felt the loss and adandonment very strongly and this is not just anthropomorphIzing

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

Sussex Gay - of course animals feel abandoned - some no doubt are better than others at coping with it.    We took on a labrador cross puppy 8 years ago fom french  friends of ours, their dog had had unplanned puppies and we had said if we had one it would have to be a female.  When they were ready we went to see them.  We arrived and they showed us two female puppies (where are the others?  The males - Oh we hadn't homes for those they have been destroyed!)     After that of course we wanted one, but  we were going away in a months time on holiday, so it wouldn't be possible.  Oh we'll look after her whilst you are away, so we agreed to have a lovely new family member.  We did as planned and left her back with her sister and  mother whilst away and collected her on our return.  She has never got over that feeling of abandonment - following at my heels if she thinks I am going away again.  She loves visiting our french friends but doesn't want to stay jumping back into the car if she thinks we are leaving without her - so now my husband and I will not even think of kennels for her, she comes with us or we holiday separately

Sorry no image available
Posted by staffordian - 3 years ago

When we came to France 12 years ago our plan was to have a look around the country,but we got two cats and there was no way we would ever leave them while we did it.Then we got our beautiful lab who we were lucky enough to have for 11 years.He died this year,but we have got another puppy and all plans have gone out of the window.We don't care as they are all everything to us and we wouldn't miss a day of their  lives.They give us far more than we ever give them.

I saw the advert you are referiring to and it really upset me.How could you "rescue" two dogs and the decide your needs come first.I can just about understand people who have to go back to the UK and have to rent,because most will not allow animals,just as long as they can manage to find good homes for them it has to be done.

i could no sooner get rid of any of my lovely pals as I could my children,and quite frankly a trivial reason like wanting to travel doesn't cut it.

I am sorry if I sound sanctimonious,but it really upset me to see it in the classified,just like a piece of furniture To give away.