DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Dog tags - what to put on them?

Posted by gwenn-391886 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

Can't see the logic in not putting the name on a tag ,if the tag is close enough to be read the dog can easily be caught .Might even calm a frightened dog using it's name .

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kenova - 3 years ago

I have been told to never put the name of the dog on it, in case he gets stolen. Our dogs just have the phone number on it, so far it's proved useful: they have phoned us twice to tell us that they were having a lot of fun and not to worry

Sorry no image available
Posted by Harry Dresden - 3 years ago

Not that our Chihuahua would ever dream of doing something so humiliating as answering to her name! When she is dashing round the garden barking her head off I call her and she looks at me as if I have totally lost the plot . . . . . . . .

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bentley-386430 - 3 years ago

If you can, get the tags done in UK.   We have got them here but they wear out and end up as not decipherable.   We have a separate tag with her microchip number.  Only put land line and mobile numbers,   As we were travelling backwards and forwards quite a lot we had UK numbers on one side and French on other side.  A friend suggested having a relative or friends contact as well just in case you are involved in an accident.  As advised in a previous posting never use their name. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by gwenn-391886 - 3 years ago

Thank you for all the replies, I've decided to get their tags made up with a mobile phone number and the word 'micro puce' (& the number if I can fit it on).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Harry Dresden - 3 years ago

The dog is traceable through the chip n° and any vet can do it so this is safe. 

If you put the dog's name then you are making it easier to steal in that someone can call the dog and get it to accompany them.

A mobile n° would be safe enough I guess.

Sorry no image available
Posted by aramanta - 3 years ago

Address and phone number. I'd try and deliver a dog to an address if I found it. Or pop around and leave a message to say I had the dog - in the event of no reply. limited space so wouldn't bother with the dog's name. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ohhhhthatswhereiputit - 3 years ago

Hi, we ordered ours from pet tags on the Internet.  They fold over the dogs collar so cannot fall off. We have the name of the pet, the words, I am microchipped,  our phone number and the town our vet is in.

Sorry no image available
Posted by car22 - 3 years ago

dog tags  most  put the dogs name and phone number only on 95 per cent .you can put the address but you will not be adle to read it on a average disc  depending what size dog it is  . the reason is a lot of dogs lose there discs so people turn up at your house  uninvited when a phone number is better  .The  enamelled one side or nickel  plated both sides the most common size is 26mm  to 32 mm ,   trophee clef    0256250037 at rostrenen they have loads .

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

name, my mobile number and on the reverse their micropuce number