DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Doggy owners beware

Posted by berny-382476 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

maybe the weather is having strange effects.... the caterpillar stage is aerial, and they are normally too smart to fall out of the tree, so a procession on the ground  means they are looking to go underground to pupate, and is visually quite impressive, but not normally at this time of year, as said.   It is interesting to read up what tricks researchers have played to understand their life cycle. Don't disturb even an empty tent as it will still be full of the spiky irritating hairs.   The french haven't been too fussed controlling them, but there is another variety which has the same habits in Oak trees and that is certainly notifiable and taken seriously in U.K.

Sorry no image available
Posted by berny-382476 - 3 years ago

Hi Sirius,

The caterpillars actually fell from the nest, not crawled down the tree, the empty nest is still there as well as another nest further up. There was only one nest in the tree last year. It now looks like the trees life is coming to an end.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sirius-400550 - 3 years ago

Twiglet is right: cutting the tree down is the safest method.  These moths are moving further and further north.  In spain, I believe the local authorities have to be notified if nests are seen.  They are treated as a serious problem.  Unfortunately as they are not as known here, they are not as known as a potential threat.  If you move nests, it's better to cover the branch with a black bag, or such, seal it, and cut the branch off.  Wear protection, gloves and a mask as the spores will be airborn as soon as they are moved.   Any animal that licks one of these, or breathes in the spores will suffer.  Many of the 'lucky' ones that survive lose either all or part of their tongues, which blacken.  They really are a serious risk.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

Until recently these were rare north of the Loire, and have advanced rapidly (warmer weather and tree transplanting). I was appalled to see how many trees have died this year along the coastal path at Erquy as a result  The only good thing is that they are visible, tho' usually too high to destroy. Provoke extreme allergic, even shock reactions, not to be touched, as already posted.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Twiglets-10060825 - 3 years ago

It is not just your dogs you need to worry about, they also make a trail across the filed(s) which kills grazing animals goats, sheep & chickens. Safest method is to cut the tree down & burn to ashes.

Sorry no image available

If you look up 'pieges pour chenilles processionnaires' you will see pictures and find places to buy them.  Basically it's a band around the trunk of the tree which 'funnels' the catterpillars into a bag or such, *for disposal) and prevents them for getting to the ground.   I had a problem with them, and after removing branches, I realised that as it's a moth, nothing was going to prevent my tree from getting more nests.   The band is a good thing, but if you say a nest has actually dropped to the ground that  would worry me.   The catterpillars make sort of 'roadways' up and down the trunk to go back and forth.  It's worth researching about them as you can understand what your chances are of dealing with them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

Some information here -

http://www.planetepassion.eu/wildlife-in-france/Pine-processionary-moth-France.html

For more info Google "processionary caterpillars"

Sorry no image available
Posted by berny-382476 - 3 years ago

Hi Jon,

Send me an email with your telephone number and I will call you

Regards Berny 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kerroux - 3 years ago

Hi Berny, Iv'e not heard of these.Any chance you could send me more info about them please.ie colour,size and name so i can look them up.

Regards,

Jon

Sorry no image available

Get a trap for them.  It goes on the trunk.  Otherwise you'll end up having to get rid of the tree if you really want your animals to be safe.  They are very dangerous indeed