DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Dogs in France

Posted by Tizzler - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by nvooght - 3 years ago

I am sorry but the rabies vac given in France is only valid in the UK for 1 year. The Rabies Vac given in the UK is 3 years.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

Rabies injection now lasts 3 years in france too - if Rabesin has been given for two consecutive years it now can last as per makers instructions.    She put the next dose to be due in 3 years in  my dogs passport.  Not all vets apparently up to speed yet - law changed last year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nvooght - 3 years ago

Hi, I take my dog to France every 6 weeks & have done so for 13 years. At first they were very strict re jabs etc. The most important thing for your dogs is Rabies Vacs, and when returning to England after moving to France. There is a tick in France (found in long farmland grass areas) that UK dogs do not seem to have an immunity to infact many years ago a friends dog did die of the tick. BUT i have not heard of any since that time. Rabies vac done in UK last 3 years/Rabies vac done in France lasts 1 year. on the whole my dog has been all around France & no problems in that 13 years.

Sorry no image available
Posted by black lab - 3 years ago

Hi Jo and Chris

We moved to Brittany about 18 months ago with our 2 labs, one getting on a bit at 10, and the other 3 years old. I would have no qualms at all about your dogs well being over here, ours both think they have died and gone to doggy heaven!

We regularly treat them for pests as we used to in UK, make sure your flea treatment includes for ticks too, as there does seem to be an abundance of them over here.

We have found a really wonderful vet, who couldn't be kinder or more informative.

So I would say, please don't be concerned about your animal's welfare in France. In our experience we have had no problems.

Bon chance with your move!

Sorry no image available
Posted by tezzy - 3 years ago

Hello, as long as you treat them regular with tick and flea treatment worming and have there vaccinations done yearly then its no different from the Uk.

Except you have to watch out for adders around this time of year as when it warms up they come out and at first are more likely to strike out to protect them selfs as later on they tend to keep out of the way of people & dogs.

Also im sorry but i must disagree with countrydweller as in more fredom(but it depends on what context it was said ) "fredom"  can  mean letting your dog roam(which i believe is against the law now as in the uk) Getting lost,getting run over possible getting poisoned (by mistake or on purpose which DOES happen)

It depends on where you live commune or very rural and how you want your dogs/cats to live when you get over here.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JLJ-429896 - 3 years ago

There seem to be a lot of ticks over here - get the little plastic hooks for easy removal. I think I am right in saying we are too far north for heartworm, but Echinococuss Multilocularis, a kind of tapeworm not in the UK, is a good reason to keep animals wormed as it can cause bad liver damage in humans. 

Rabies isn't seen as a problem by most people, but they are mis-guided. Carniverous animals not up-to-date on their vaccinations will be destroyed in the event of an out-brake. The caution about allowing feral carniverous populations is waning as memories of the disease become more distant and expats with no experience of the disease move to the French countryside.

Keep any animals you are responsible for vaccinated and sleep easy.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mazdamx5 - 3 years ago

Can someone recommend a good kennel in Finistere thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Scaremongering from the vets probably to sell you stuff at exorbitant prices;your animals will as safe here as they are in the uk,but with more "freedom".Make sure you understand what you need to do about getting microchips and pet passport and the time scales

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Scaremongering from the vets probably to sell you stuff at exorbitant prices;your animals will as safe here as they are in the uk,but with more "freedom".Make sure you understand what you need to do about getting microchips and pet passport and the time scales

Sorry no image available
Posted by Harper-871539 - 3 years ago

We have lived here for 10years with 3 cats and give them all the needed trips to vet for topup injections every year to protect fromfeline diseases and we worm them and use the flea treatment...stronghold when the weather warms up.

We check them by running our hands over them as ticks usually cling to head area and remove them with a tick remover tool---easy to use!

My vet in UK said ''oh go the cats will love the countryside and so will you!''

Please don't be put off--if you love your pets you will enjoy life here and so will they!