DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Ducks and chickens together?

Posted by firestarter-435430 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

I forgot to say - I've no experience of the birds sleeping together in the same space, but I do find the duck pen gets quite wet as they dabble around in the water bowl... They also make it filthy by climbing into it, so not so nice for chickens if they shared it.  Also, my chickens on the whole don't eat their own eggs, but will happily steal the duck eggs if they get the chance. The duck seems to lay very early in the morning, usually before I let them out, so if they were in together I suspect I'd never have tasted duck egg myself!  This may be unique to my birds of course, I don't know, but worth bearing in mind.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

We  have a small flock of 8 hens and a cockerel, and 3 ducks - 2 girls and a boy - who were introduced later. They share an outbuilding to sleep, but in different penned areas, and they share the garden when free-ranging. There's normally no problem, but at the moment, presumably with it being the 'breeding' season, Mr Duck has taken to chasing off any large bird that ventures near his pond (poor magpies don't know what's going on!), including the chickens. He's become very territorial.  He's even been known to grab the smaller chicckens by the scruff of the neck and drag them away from any food so his girls don't go hungry.  They don't fight, and they're normally happy enough to be fairly close together, but I do have to be careful when there's food around - by food I mean 'treats' rather than pellets.  So just be aware - you may need separate feeding areas or your chickens may get a bit hungry! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alpacas - 3 years ago

That is a shame.  I have a 1.5 met post and rail fence which is adequate. Alpacas will not normally challange a fence.....but saying that I did have one that I could have entered in the "Horse of the year" show !!

Sorry no image available
Posted by firestarter-435430 - 3 years ago

Absolutely love alpacas but unfortunatly have a large area which is impossible to fence

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alpacas - 3 years ago

Problem with foxes solved.  Get a couple of Alpacas.  Very low maintenance, get on with Ducks, Geese and Poultry , hate and kill foxes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by firestarter-435430 - 3 years ago

thanks for the info.  I specifically want runner ducks as they don't fly and there are too many foxes and hunters around here for other ducks to be safe.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bibi-403151 - 3 years ago

No problem, I have chickens , ducks and geese all in same area with run of pen, includes one aylesbury sitting on eggs, they all just give her a wide berth ! I seperate the geese when older and laying as can get quite terratorial, but out of laying season all go together again.

Have aylesbury ducks if interested.