DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

dying canaries

Posted by convent girl-439588 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by candid - 3 years ago

google  trichomonosis.Sounds like it is that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by grumpyjoe - 3 years ago

Wherever the birds roost mites will hide ie in the bamboo,could well be mouse droppings but you will have to get the birds in a sterile envronment.Have fun,Joe.

Sorry no image available
Posted by convent girl-439588 - 3 years ago

Hi. I think it could be the mice droppings. Although I sweep the aviary floor every day so there is no okd food, I don't sweep the house out as they don't sleep in it. Just been to look and yes, there was loads of mouse poo. Have cleaned and disinfected it. Am now going to put perspex all the way round the aviary up to two foot high to stop mice getting in. 

Am open to any other ideas. I will also clean feeders etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

The symptons sound very similar to a disease that clobbered the garden green finches a few years ago. I have also witnessed it in the Siskins, it seems that this was caused by an internal mite, once one has it it is passed on through feeders and drinking water from the birds saliva. Try disinfecting the feeds/water holders with boiling water everytime you change the feed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by trike - 3 years ago

Hi it could be mice droppings sounds like it to me.

Sorry no image available
Posted by convent girl-439588 - 3 years ago

Thank you Grumpyjoe. They don't sleep in the house but outside in a bamboo thicket but they are under cover. They only shelter in the house in the day if it is pouring with rain. I have nonetheless just looked with a magnifying glass all round the house, in the cracks etc, they isn't a floor to look under. I can't see anything!! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by grumpyjoe - 3 years ago

Have a look for red feather mites.They only feed at night so not on the birds in daylight.You will find them in cracks,under the floor etc.Like vampires they bleed the birds dry.Move all birds into a clean cage then sort the aviary.Cheers,Joe.