DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Expelling bats

Posted by firestarter-435430 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Son Of Fred - 3 years ago

Ecologsit.......If its not Bats what do you think it is then????????

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ecologist-10051123 - 3 years ago

This isn't bats. End of.

Sorry no image available
Posted by refuge-974239 - 3 years ago

I agree with simone2, it is already very difficult to keep them alive with all the intensive agriculture here... if you need any help in communicating with the association, let me know, I am French and speak and understand both languages fluently.

Sorry no image available
Posted by simone2-422892 - 3 years ago

Hi,If you contact the GMB they will give you expert advice www.gmb.asso.fr

we have contacted them because we have bats in the roof, they are really helpful with all mammals.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Alaw of 2007 protects both bats and their nesting and roosting sites.Most of what has been suggested here is probably illegal so before you do anything you should get the advice of the Groupe Mammalogique Bretonne www.gmb.asso.fr  They appear to have a bat line 02.98.24.14.00.

What is happening is that you have young in your roof and they are practising flying and crawling to exercise their muscles and the parens are returning during the night with food which is why there is a stampede when an adult returns.Once they have gone normally in Sept you can look at doing smething with access points but remember the roof space needs ventilation.You can also look at bat boxes for roosting and breeding as they will prefer these to your home.If by chance a bat gets into your living space do not panic and run around waving your arms about as this will confuse the bats echo locator.Open a window also get a cardboard box and hold it in the air at arms length and the bat will fly in as it will think it is a roost.But as I have said there are penalties for disturbing bats so get proper advice

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

You may have bats in the loft but the clomping around is something else!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

when I first moved into my house nr guemene a few years ago there was sounds from the loft space, did not know whether mice, rats or bats. Put a Rentokill electronic pest deterrent in the bedrooms and all went quiet after a day or so . No noises at all over last couple of years.

I now also use one downstairs as patio doors open all day and evenings when warm , never had a mouse in the house yet .  The repeller was around £28 in UK , maybe the cheaper ones are not so efficient ?

Posted by Joyce - 3 years ago

Had the same problem with bats in non accessible roof space.  I waited until they left for their winter hibernation then filled every nook and cranny I could find.  I sealed underneath the ridge tiles with self adhesive flashing and foamed underneath the eaves.  This cured the problem.  I did try an expensive electronic repellent but it didn't deter them so don't waste your money.  Hope you get your problem sorted as I know only too well how the noise that bats make can drive you to distraction.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ozzy Mandias - 3 years ago

You might be able to get some advice from the people at the Musee de Chauve-Souris at Kernascleden. They might just tell you you're not allowed to do anything though! Your shout.

Sorry no image available
Posted by firestarter-435430 - 3 years ago

Have thought of ultrasonic device but unfortunately we do not have access to the roof space as it is pitched inside bedroom with roof tiles on top.   Also would not work even if we could get inside roof space because sound would only work where there are no barriers and lots of beams.  Ultrasound will not penetrate ceilings or other barriers - unfortunately!