DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Experienced Bee Keeper Information Required

Posted by michelle565 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dueller-813343 - 3 years ago

Richard is a great source of information for me. We have a nest in the wall of our house and occasionally i phone him when they do something odd. His phone number can be found in the right hand column if you scroll down.

http://beesinbrittany.blogspot.fr/

Sorry no image available
Posted by michelle565 - 3 years ago

many thanks for your advice, i will do that, and i will look at the wbka site.  Best regards, John

Sorry no image available
Posted by aramanta - 3 years ago

Don't understand why food should be running out. If queen cells, you must have eggs, even if that may mean a worker has started laying,and given your description, I'd just leave them alone for a while. Don't be tempted to open up the hive all the time.  It's not good to disturb the bees. How many frames are covered with bees?  And have a look at:

http://www.wbka.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/There-Are-Queen-Cells-In-My-Hive-WBKA-WAG.pdf

Sorry no image available

Hello thanks for your reply,

the bees are quiet  calm, I have noticed that they are drawing out queen cells now, but still no sign of brood.  I do not know of any other bee keepers here that could help.  They don't seem to be very active, should I go back to feeding them as there food source is running out.

many thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by aramanta - 3 years ago

Do you know any other beekeepers? If you do see if someone can give you a frame with eggs/brood. If you are queenless they'll use this to create  a/some queen cells. If the colony is queenright they won't. 6 weeks with nothing is really odd. What sort of nature are they?  Aggressive = no queen possibly. Calm and quiet  = queenright ( ie queen present)

Sorry no image available

There is no sign of the Queen and no brood, the frames were new when the bees went in, they have drawn out two and half frames, and I have had them now for 6 weeks.  It turned cold when they first arrivd so I feed them syrup. For a week, perhaps this was the wrong thing to do.   

And further advice is appriciated 

Regards John

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerivon - 3 years ago

Can't have a swarm without a queen, they can be difficult to see even for the most experienced beekeeper. If you leave them alone for a week or two then have another look you should be able to see eggs and larvae. How many bees are there? If you have left frames with honey in there they might be robbers from another hive robbing the honey.