DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Feeding the garden birds

Posted by Brianret - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 4 years ago

Hi,

I bought a bird feeder stand from Aldi .. you can hang three feeders from it, it has a tray and a water holder ..  birds love it .. stationed away from cover, so my cats cannot hide to catch the birds.

The hens love it as well .. when they are loose they "hoover" up the bits ..

Croston Mill .. best way of buying peanuts ..  and the delivery charge is "peanuts" .. sorry about the "pun" ..  if 25kg is to much for one .. ask your friends if they will share it with you ..

I must go .. a Blue Tit has just knocked on my window to remind me to top up the feeders ..

Rgds

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 4 years ago

Madmoose, If the nuts are put in to proper feeders there is little chance of attracting too many rats etc, infact scattering bird food on the ground is more likely to attract them. Madmoose, what do you feed birds in Winter?

Sorry no image available
Posted by madmoose-396625 - 4 years ago

I regularly feed my birds, espescially through the winter but stopped using nuts 1.  because they are so expensive here, but, 2. because they attract the rats and mice more so than any other feed because Apparantly peanuts are a coagulant which can counteract rat poison!.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul & nadine - 4 years ago

Even at current exchange rate Croston Corn Mill is good value, especially peanuts in bulk, which I have not been able to find in France, and sunflower seeds without the husks, which make less mess and have much more goodness per kilo than the normal ones . If you order this morning they will probably arrive on Wednesday! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Janouk - 4 years ago

"You pays your money and you takes your choice" ........ as the saying goes. With any purchase we all make our choices and for our own reasons. I personally like the quality, good value and the convenience of buying a bulk amount of peanuts and seed for our birds from Croston Mill. As the OP asked where they could get bigger quantities of peanuts, I just shared my findings for you to investigate yourselves .  (Glad you found it useful "tigre")

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 4 years ago

Tigre,

I was just pointing out that it's not useful comparing premium seed to cheap seed. And that, if like many people on AI, you received some or all of your income in pounds, and given the exchange rate, the premium seed in France might compare to that you order from the UK.

I did not take into account whether or not you had a shop selling premium French seed near you, or whether you would have to change actual euro to sterling or vice versa In order to buy either the French or British seed!

Sorry no image available

Noblesse, if you order the 30kg premium seed from Croston Mill and pay in euros it will cost 39.23e if you pay in sterling £28.50, both figures include delivery. If you exchange £28.50 in to euros you will get roughly 38.53e that's without taking in to account any transfer fees. We don't have a Super U near us, nor Leclerc, we do have a large Intermache, and I paid 5.20euros last week for  4kg bag of seed which is certainly not a premium mix, so comparing these products and value for money is certainly far from not useful! If anyone can give me the details of a french website where I can buy the same standard product for the same price as the UK site I'd be quite happy to use them. Thank you Janouk for the info.

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 4 years ago

".. if you look at the contents of Croston Mill's premium bird seed it has more nutritional value than the  cheap seed you buy over here, the birds need high energy food to get them through the cold nights,  so for the price and quality of  Croston Mill's seeds including delivery to france they are much better value."

Comparing a premium bird seed from the UK to a cheap seed in France is not particularly useful.

I would imagine the premium seed in France has a similar nutritional value to that from Croston Mill. It may appear to be more expensive, but taking into account the current sterling to euro exchange rate, it might not be!

Sorry no image available

Candid, not such an odd statement really, if you look at the contents of Croston Mill's premium bird seed it has more nutritional value than the  cheap seed you buy over here, the birds need high energy food to get them through the cold nights,  so for the price and quality of  Croston Mill's seeds including delivery to france they are much better value. Hence the statement!

Sorry no image available
Posted by candid - 4 years ago

don't know why english seed is bound to be better!odd statement.We buy most of ours from Netto or magasin vert and it disappears quickly.A small price to pay for the pleasure of watching the birds,red squirrels and voles.