DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Fencing for goats

Posted by wineoclock@1pm - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by tinkatonk - 3 years ago

Hi

Ferns and brackens are toxic both fresh and dry so please dont even consider giving it as bedding!

There are many other plants that are poisonous to goats  including daffodils, rhododendrums acorns and ragwort.  Goats are quite different to sheep. They need mineral licks too, ones specifically for goats are best as they have different requirements to sheep.

Novices can make mistakes when starting ourt with new livestock so get to know a local goat breeder who can help guide you and get yourself a reference book specifically on goat husbandry and not a general husbandry book.   Your local breeder can show you how to trim your goats' feet too.

Tethering may seem a good idea but I know of someones goat which strangled itself simply by getting tihe chain stuck round a robust clump of plants.

Your local agricultural store will have fencing and electric fence energisers and a solar panel can be attached to keep the battery topped up.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by La Magdelaine - 3 years ago

Goats must have genes from Houdini, WW2 escape prisoners, jailbreakers & are probably more cantankerous than any other animal I have ever owned & kept! but I loved every little trick & the helicopter,Harrier jump-jet, limbo dancing to escape the confines I ever made for them. I never did find or make a fence/barrier that they would stay behind for over 25 years...in the end i decided that if I put them on the roses, flowers & veggie side of the fencing then they would escape to the grazing, picking side especially if it had goats idea of filet steak = IVY.

Leccy fencing solid mesh, stock wire with stout posts every 2 metres with a leccy wire running along the top, tensioning wire running along the bottom...never did stop them climbing over, wriggling under & tethering lasted until they chewed thru the rope.

All I can say is bonne chance + bon courage + enjoy all their naughtinesses....

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

In my experience a 2mtr high close net fence is needed and even then goats will try to tunnel underneath.  Electric fences are near to useless.

Sorry no image available
Posted by agente securite - 3 years ago

gOATS DO NOT DO WELL WITH ANY ELECTRIC FENCING OR STRIP GRAZING ELECTRIC, they are intellegent and inquizative , better use normal stock fence and posts , they will run through electic or got tangled, causing distress,

Sorry no image available
Posted by wineoclock@1pm - 3 years ago

I was sent this linkby the rare breed association in  theUK if its of any use to goat holders here.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232713000349&mode=prd

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kaouenn - 3 years ago

Yep,net fencing,the stuff in Gamme vert or similar intended for sheep. (Around €80-€100 per roll). And the Clos 1000 is a mains energiser I keep in a shed,and run a normal single copper insulated house type wire out to the fence in the field from it. And a bit of steel rod hammered into the ground outside the shed with a wire from it back to the earth on the energiser. Simple!

Sorry no image available

When you say you have 90cm fencing, is that net fencing, not a single/double cable type? I dont want to tether mine either as I have tons of good vegetation for them to go at over a big area and I dont want to keep movng that tether.. I'd rather they made their own choice where they're eating. Is your fence mains powered then?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kaouenn - 3 years ago

I have two Pygmy brothers who are kept in by 50m electrified sheep net ,powered by a Clos 1000 mains energiser intended for small animals. They were both on tethers for quite a while before,but once they touched the fence a couple of times when introduced to it, they were respectful of it and keep a safe distance away from it now. (I was initially a bit mean but wanted them to learn,so held some food the other side of the fence from them,-of course they tried to eat it and got a shock from the fence,but they learnt!)

Its an ideal setup for me. The goats have freedom to roam untethered, and their `Goatel` / shed and  the sheep net can be moved every day or more to fresh grass.

My fence is only 90cm high,but works for me.Taller goat net is available on Eb*y,around 1.2m high.

Good luck! 

Sorry no image available

I would happily tether them BUTapparently new rules are coming through the EU that will make it illegal. That was from the Goat Society in the UK but they said that will be applied over here as well. Another useful thing I found on You tube, goats need for the fence to be giving out a shock of at least 6000 joules which is apparently 3 times that needed for a cow. My electric knowledge is minimal so what that equate to I have no idea!! It also said you need thicker wire and put plenty of earthing cables in. Like I say, its all new to me :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

Hi. if you are a complete novice at keeping goats,then you are in for some interesting times,we have never found an electric fence that will keep goats in, if they don't want to be where you want them to be,even square mesh fencing they climb/push & jump over ,they eat everything you don't want them to eat,we have 8 of various breeds shapes & sizes,we tether ours and move them daily,if they come off their tether they make their way to the flower garden/vegetable patch or the newly planted orchard,kids love them but they can be challenging on occasions,they could have been in a curry on numerous occasions,but we don't like goat meat s they are safe to get up to mischief,good luck have fun.sabc15.