DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Ferry full of Fido's

Posted by telljan - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

It's the total number of domestic animals, not just dogs.  Probably due to insurance reasons ....

Sorry no image available
Posted by Murfy - 3 years ago

Its not just dogs.  They woulldn't let us bring our "moggy" across last year, as it was fully booked with other "animals".

But we would not let our cast out of its basket, so not sure what the problem was.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

As I understand it cars with pets in are put in a cool area. So, once that is full I suppose no more pets.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

I have also just checked out the Defra website and the PETS travel information. Although there is information showing the authorised crossing routes and their operators, I have found nothing that implies a limit on the number of dogs per crossing.  So, as Iguana Rock says, it's for Brittany Ferries to either point to the Defra regulations on the restriction or if it is non-existant, to explain why they impose one themselves.

I wonder if anyone has faced this restriction with DFDS or P&O.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

've just looked at this and there is nothing to suggest there is a limit so I would challenge it if it were me. http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/PETS-travel-scheme/travelling-by-ferry-with-pets

I've also looked at DEFRA website and can't find anything there either.

So I would ask Brittany Ferries to show me where the rules are written.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

My advice is to ask again. Quite possibly if you speak to someone else you will be successful! Sound crazy I know but I honestly think it's worth a try.

Sorry no image available
Posted by telljan - 3 years ago

What made it even more frustrating for my friends was that they even drove up to Roscoff to ask at the desk about this and to explain that he was disabled and the longer drive either side wasn't easy. Only to be told that there was no problem with the dogs boarding but the ferry was now full of passengers so no room. If the daffy woman on the phone had been on the ball they could have booked the route they wanted after all!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andsoonandsoforth-399880 - 3 years ago

Ah, I was talking about Ireish Ferries-they have to go in the kennels on their ships so the limit to me is logical as it involves staff and logistics. Didn't realise they were left in cars on BF.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Well - it seems it is time for someone to ask DEFRA to justify the limit on the number of dogs permitted on a crossing. It woulod be better understood if dogs were in specified accommodation, but if they are in owners' cars, there seems to be no logic to these restrictions.  

Most government rules and regulations have a distinct and obvious purpose, but if not, people need to challenge the Government Department concerned,

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 3 years ago

it seems mad as they stay in your own car