DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Help with acceptance of new cat

Posted by mightymimi-923305 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

It's always a problem,some cats just do not get on,we have had various numbers of cats and at the moment have eight,four females who seem to get on and four tom cats three of which who get on ,one of the toms is a very small stray who turned up as a kitten and got taken in,all of the cats accept him apart from one of the other toms who hates him,why we have no idea,years ago we had a beautiful fluffy ginger female cat ,she was a real house cat never went far,one of the other females became pregnant and only had one kitten,the ginger female hated it hissed at it and ran out of the house everytime she saw it,she started to disappear for three or four days at a time then eventually never came,after having shared our home over the years with around thirty cats I have found cats are just like us humans,some get on ,some are friendly ,some want to kill everything ,some want to kill each other and some prefer the solitary life,but what I have found is its impossible to train them as they will only do exactly what they want to do.

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 3 years ago

I had a very similar problem when I had to integrate my mother's cat with my two. The vet was very helpful. The things I found really helped were:

A product called Zylkene which is a powder you put in their food. It is derived from milk proteins and is natural. It takes the edge of their aggression and fear.

Putting the cats either side of a glass door or window and making them look at each other through it. Luckily we have a glass door in our house and I did this for half an hour each day, nipping round via another door to move each cat back when one of tem backed off. I know it sounds mad but the vet rcommended this and explained why and I found it really helped. It would take too long to explain the reasoning.

Persistence and not giving up. My cats hated each other when they frist met but eventually would sleep on the same sofa.

Your little kitten may have to do some of the work as well I am afraid which may be easier when she is a bit bigger. 

I do understand how tough it is.