DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Homing pigeon !

Posted by LucyBee - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by LucyBee - 3 years ago

... he or she is still there... have asked it to leave... 

Sorry no image available

Ah, thanks all for all your information... and yes, my husband has told me (he's had a closer look than me) that one of the bands is elastic, the other hard plastic... so tomorrow we must try and catch it and get the number. It is still with us, although flying occasionally to neighbouring house tops (and we say 'hurray, it's on its' way'... and then it comes back to roost on our garage gutter!!! Fingers crossed !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fazabelle56 - 3 years ago

If the bird has a rubber ring on one leg and a hard plastic one on the other it could well be a UK based racing pigeon that is resting up. The rubber ring is used when racing and is removed when the bird returns to it's loft and sealed in a clock to record it's time of arrival. If it has a strong desire to return home it will only stay long enough to rest and feed, maybe a day or two. If it stays longer and you manage to catch it the information on the hard plastiic ring is what you need to record. The first few letters tell you the issuing organisation, the next two numbers give it's year of birth and the rest identify it's registered owner. Hopefully when you read this it will have departed for rainier climes!

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 3 years ago

Here is a useful article - in English - from a pigeon racing site in France

http://www.colombophiliefr.com/Egares/Egares-e.htm

It suggests that as your pigeon has two rings it may be French.

There is also an e mail address to contact if you find a pigeon

Sorry no image available

Oh that sounds interesting - and he or she is still here - looking more and more as though its' lost its' way - I will try and get a closer look at the rings on its' legs (one each leg) to try and find out if it comes from the uk or not...  More later ...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dueller-813343 - 3 years ago

A couple of weeks ago there were some UK pigeons lost in a race from France (can't remember where) - quite a few apparently had gone missing and the owner was gutted. I can probably find the reporting details again if you can identify whether its French or British.

Sorry no image available
Posted by helicopterrob - 3 years ago

It was explained to me once when I found a racing pigeon - I traced the owner through the leg ring number , This is not a joke  many owners actually put the telephone number under the wing so if you do catch it turn it over and spread its wings just in case.

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 3 years ago

Yes, give it at least a couple of days before you try to catch it. And, if possible, some bird seed and water somewhere out of the way of the dog. We have had a few pigeons take a break with us and they normally move on after a few days. 

Sorry no image available

Thanks - so hopefully tomorrow, garage roof vacated !!

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

If it is a racing pigeon they are usually ringed,if you can catch the bird you can ring the society and give the number and they may or maynot collect the bird,most racing pigeons that have landed with us normally have be blown of course and after a couple of days rest and feed go on their way,good luck.sabc15.