DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

House Martin fledgling

Posted by nessiebear - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by nessiebear - 3 years ago

The little House Martin is fine! I sat outside last night and I saw an adult Martin go into the nest high up in the stone wall of the house that had had babies in a while ago but they appeared to have left last week sometime. I put the ladder up and checked and found an adult with a dead fledgling. I removed the fledgling and returned the other one who is still there today. I couldn't risk leaving the fledgling on the ground as I have 3 cats and 4 dogs. Hopefully his next flying attempt will be successful!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

I want to know how it is!  Need an update later!

We have cats, so any birds on the floor usually get eaten :(. It's the one thing I hate about cats.  I did manage to take a baby wren off them earlier in the year, kept it overnight in a basket and a (cat) cage and put it out in the morning having shut the cats in. As far as I could tell it left the cage quite quickly and started calling for its mum - and later on I think mum had found it again.  Whether or not not it survived for long after that I really don't know, but I'd like to think so.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nessiebear - 3 years ago

Thanks very much! I'll see if the parents are about tomorrow.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dueller-813343 - 3 years ago

This is a copy/paste fromm another page i found from someone who had the same problem.

"Sue Blow phoned to ask what they should do about two fledgling house martins that had come down in the garden. They appeared to be fit and well, and the parent birds were feeding them. So my reply was to leave them alone but keep a watch for marauding cats. This was not a problem with a resident German shepherd (I nearly wrote Alsatian). The young martins spent two days hiding among the border plants and running out to beg for food when an adult landed nearby. Then they disappeared, presumably into the air and a normal life of chasing flies.

Adult house martins encourage their brood to leave the nest by repeatedly hovering at the entrance and calling. Sometimes it seems they do not get the timing quite right and the young come out too soon. After a short flutter and glide, they end up clinging to a wall or landing on the ground. I have heard of people trying to help these birds by attempting to launch them, but to no purpose. The instinct to fly was not yet fully developed.

For such an aerial bird as a house martin to be grounded sounds as serious as a fish out of water. These young martins ought to be doomed but they cope surprisingly well. They are more agile on their feet than one would expect and they have the instinct to hide under cover. Their parents continue to care for them, bringing food and encouraging them into the air with low passes. Eventually, something clicks and off the youngsters go, flying strongly and competently."