DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Lac du Guerladan

Posted by pablopicasso - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 4 years ago

That's good - the most needs to be made of this last draining of the lake to  maximise its potential. Although the access road to the barrage was blocked off (except for riverains of course), one can still walk down to the canoe club and along to the barrage. The climb along the sentier at the right of the barrage takes you to a commanding view down over the barrage and the drained lake over the other side. It's a pity that EDF don't allow the public to walk across (another guided tour opportunity).

Sorry no image available
Posted by ScarboroughWhites-442058 - 4 years ago

The Local Tourist Boards were hoping for upto 4 million visitors to see the empty Lac !!!!! Additional parking has been provided at numerous locations and a 'Local One-Way system' is to be introduced come the 'High Season' 

This additional Parking, as in the case of 'The Merlin' is some 1km walk - and it's a long way back up the hill !!!! there are 'No Entry' barriers across the road, so I have no idea if anyone can use the several hundred parking spaces normally available closer to The Merlin.

The Market at Bon Repos is still operating, but has been moved to the other side of 'The Bridge' and Traffic Lights have been installed on the Bridge, the parking situation has changed, with cars being encourged to park in a 'Field'    

Numerous leaflets and booklets are in the Tourist Information outlets - my understanding this is a joint effort between Pontivy / Loudeac and The 'Breton' Tourist Boards due to the Lac being the boarder between Departments.

Tours at the Weekends come July, August and September are being advertised as being in 'English' and even a couple in 'Breton'.

After all that I would encourage everybody to come and see The Lac - but maybe mid-week and maybe sooner rather than later.

Sorry no image available

That's new to me - when we went to the lake, there were no organised tours. Everyone was making their own way round to take in the sights, but it would make sense to have such tours, so that people could be provided with useful information during their visit. However, it would be inconvenient for many people if they had to go to Pontivy for the tickets. It would be better to sell tickets on site.

Sorry no image available
Posted by woody-383477 - 4 years ago

I understand from our local tourist board that all visitors to the lake must take a guided tour (only 2 euros) because of the huge number of visitors they are expecting.  We were told you can obtain tickets from the tourist board in Pontivy.

Sorry no image available

Yes, it is a fascinating sight to see and the trees still standing look weird. We were told during our visit to the "lake" a couple of weeks ago, that the work being undertaken by EDF at the barrage, will be a permanent fix, so that the lake will never need to be drained again - apparently. It is strange that while drained, the lake is attracting more visitors than when it is full. So much so that extra car parking has been provided.

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 4 years ago

We went down there again last week, absolutely fascinating to see it so low, when used to seeing it full.  at some points you can see the remIns of the lock houses, and lots of trees still there after all there years, eerie to see. Photos look like they are taken in black and white, because there is no colour obviouly, except the brown mud. The locks are still in tact, I could have spent all day going from view point to view point. 

Go and see it, as my age group will never get another chance. When I think the next time it is emptied my grandson, will be my age.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 4 years ago

http://www.ouest-france.fr/lac-de-guerledan-200-kg-de-poissons-de-guerledan-vendus-en-1-h-3345080

Sorry no image available
Posted by pablopicasso - 4 years ago

Thanks folks .

Dangermouse ...that link was very good and informative ..thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by smudge1949 - 4 years ago

some fish were sent for cat food and sme kept to be put back when the Lac is refilled.

Smudge

Sorry no image available
Posted by dangermouse-440611 - 4 years ago

hi all here is a link that tells you all about the draining of the lake and work being done and about the fish   http://www.centrebretagne.com/fileadmin/users/centre-bretagne/office-tourisme/Guerledan_2015/Depliant_Vidange_du_barrage_hydroelectrique_de_Guerledan_EDF_Anglais.pdf