DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Mosquitoes - advice please!

Posted by Iguana Rock - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by enthuisiasm - 3 years ago

Have you tried eating garlic? also spread lavender plants everywhere. They do not like lavender; We have mossy nets for night time. Some people have sweet blood, this attracts them. Wiping with clear vineagar is a good idea on the back of your hands. . Wear cotton long sleeved blouses, tops ect, and unfortunately, joggers, or cotton lightweight trews. Slightly elasticated around the ankles. If you buy long sleeved flowery blouses and then appear in the garden and say "Ok, mossies?" they wont attack you but the bees and wasps will, like it happened to me!!

To take anti histamine, never have; Definately vitamine B, you will note a different skin smell after a few weeks if you have a sensative nose. . . 

Sorry no image available
Posted by enthuisiasm - 3 years ago

Nivea 'soft', in all the Super U's  Leclercs and pharmacy

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Definitely mozzies! I've seen them every time but always AFTER they've already had my blood! It's only a problem when we are outdoors. Since we put the RAID plug-ins indoors we have no problems at all.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jo Taylor-790528 - 3 years ago

Are you sure it's mozzies biting you beneath your clothes and not aoutats?

Sorry no image available
Posted by les wazzo - 3 years ago

Skin so soft, oridinal dry oil body spray is on special offer on the Avon UK website at the moment.  I have just had some sent to mother who has posted it on to me this week.

Sorry no image available

I was going to say the same as QUAQUAQUAQUA with regard to Marmite. Surely it's about being in the bloodstream not external.

Sorry no image available
Posted by quaquaquaqua - 3 years ago

Well I'm sure there could have been other factors but the marmite thing definitely worked for me. It wasn't about dipping into it or spreading it out, it was about eating it daily so that it had been digested and it's various vitamins etc were in the bloodstream. I don't know the biological mechanism but all I can say is that I was working in a very mossie infested area and being bitten like billyo, but once I'd started eating a bit of daily marmite it drastically reduced/stopped.

Hope this helps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by vivaofsnape - 3 years ago

eating Marmite as a mosquito repellent is an urban myth - probably spread By the makers. I have seen a film of two hands being placed in a glass tank full of mosquitoe. One hand was spread with marmite and the other natural. The mossies didn't discriminate with their bites

Sorry no image available

With regard to the AVON Skin-So-Soft, I contacted AVON and this is their reply:

"Unfortunately, that product is unavailable at this time and we cannot say whether we’ll reintroduce it in the future"

Sorry no image available

I've had some really great replies, thanks everyone.