DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

New cat

Posted by mightymimi-923305 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 3 years ago

Really pleased to hear that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dungey1 - 3 years ago

Really glad to hear it's getting better for you and your cats.....I will be introducing another Jack Russell to our two in the next week or so.....now that's another story !!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by sprossie - 3 years ago

So pleased to hear that Mimi. Things will get slowly better.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mightymimi-923305 - 3 years ago

Thanks to Dungey1 I thought long about taking her to the mairie.  It seems all of you are right.  My oldest cat, Caelin accepts her.  Emrys seems to be coming around.  The last 2 nights, I got up and got him in the bedroom to sleep with us like he usually did; he stayed even when the new one, Kleo, came in the bedroom to look around;  now he is on my bed sleeping which he hadn't done since Kleo came. 

So things start getting better.

Mimi

Sorry no image available
Posted by sprossie - 3 years ago

From reading other posts of yours I realise you love your animals. I had the need to introduce my old lady cat 14yrs old to my dads young fliberty jibet of 8 yrs old it took quite a while and much hissing and spitting and while they were never truly friends they showed each other mutual respect. EVENTUALLY. Sadly the old girl passed away and a 6 month old appeared on the scene and we have the same situation again occasionally they will play with each other outside but never inside.

I think you need to give the cats and yourselves time to come to terms with your littleinterloper. It took ours about a month the first few weeks the little one was kept seperate until she built up her confidence by which time the older one had got used to the new smell and just cold shouldered her for a while at least. I hope this helps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 3 years ago

You know there's often quite a long period of disruption when you take in a new cat. We took in my mother's old cat when she died and the first couple of months were absolute hell as he and one of my existing cats hated each other on sight. I won't go into the details except to say that they did sort themselves out and while they never became best friends, they would eventually sleep on the same sofa and eat together. I had a lot of fantastic advice from the vet about how to deal with the situation too, which I'll gladly pass on if you want to mail me.

It's probably a good idea to keep them apart for a while. Shut the kitten in a room with food and litter (it sounds as though it wants a bit of time to adapt quietly anyway) and let the other cats get used to its smell and sounds without actually having to confront it.

My point, though, is to say that it is very early days and don't give up. They will sort themselves out and probably sooner than you think, given that one of them is a kitten. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dungey1 - 3 years ago

I don't think you have given them time to settle and get used to each other.....please think twice before going to the Maire.....the cat will no doubt be put down!

Sorry no image available

Because one of my other cats don't come in the house anymore and she doesn't take well to my husband at all.  Actually when we get close to her, she disappears.  During the day we don't see her and at night she plays and jumps around the house.  She seems to be friendly with other cats though, but Emrys is just afraid of her.

Seems like things get worse rather than better.  I am calling the mairie this morning, it pains me because she is just such a cute little animal (when you get to see her).  But why take in a new cat to lose one you already have.  That's the dilemna.

Mimi

Sorry no image available
Posted by Whyme?-991477 - 3 years ago

Oh dear!  Why can't you keep her?

Sorry no image available

well, we can't keep her.  Does anyone have the phone number of that shop in Poullaouen which is in contact with a shelter in Morlaix???

Mimi